1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My African Grey Is Plucking

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by Kevin Hallett, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Kevin Hallett

Kevin Hallett Registered

Hi I have an African Grey Lilley is about 3 and a half years old and I've had her for 2 years. I went away in the beginning of Dec just for 5 days been away before with no issues and daughter looking after her. Since we have come back i have notice bald patches on her sides and they are getting sore. I have been getting nixed advice with regards to how best to help her but it has got no better. Can anyone please give me some advice. Thank you I love her to bit and never thought that a bird word effect me in this way.

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: I am sorry to hear Lilley has bald patches on her sides, can you post us up a photo.
    Apart from you going away has anything else changed - her diet, environment and so on.

3. Roz

Roz Regular Member

:welcome: Kevin! Sounds like Lilley may be engaging in feather destructive behaviour. First port of call should always be to an avian vet to rule out any physical problems (there could be a problem under the skin/internally that is not visible). If she comes back with a clean bill of health then you can work on behaviour. Do you see her fiddling with these areas?

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

there can be many reasons for the lose of feathers but as has been said have your bird checked by a avian vet first, She may be experiencing her start of a mould and new feathers can be quite irritating, it can be a dietary problem or just over preening. I cannot rule out her missing you as one of the greys I have started plucking after her owner passed away and I have known others that through a lack of seeing there owner they had started plucking or cutting there feathers. One thing I must say is try not to react to the damage when you are with Lilley as this may unwittingly encourage her. I will ask a few questions if you do not mind, what is her normal diet? do you bath, spray Lilley or supply a clean bowl that she uses regally?. Have you changed the position of the cage from what she has been used too? Have you put new toys in her cage from just before you noticed the bald patches? do you give any supplement's? If it dose turn out to be a behaviour issue then Roz will gie you ideas on overcoming it. one last question is how much out the cage time dose she get and one to one time? we are all here to help so hello and welcome

5. Kevin Hallett

Kevin Hallett Registered

No nothing else has changed her feather are coming back but its the sores that concern me. ill post a photo when i get a chance to take one ty

6. Kevin Hallett

Kevin Hallett Registered

We have started to spray her daily with calcium drops in the water she has started to enjoy it rather than just rushing all over the cage. Her food has stayed the same and her cage is in the same place. i have noticed that her side feather are coming back. I have started to have her out a lot more which might be also helping. she used to regurgitate food for me which has stopped.