Music To Their Ears

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Ok so a lot of us regularly say about leaving the radio on or the TV for company for our feathered friends. Well looks like the scientific peeps have caught up with our trains of thought ..... birds lives are enriched by background stimuli each preferring their own specific background ... which a lot of us knew anyways because we watch our birdies and learn :biggrin:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/zoo.21260/pdf

Dead annoying isn't it @Michael ?

I think the most popular amongst the Movern flock is the rainforest with flute, everyone seems content when that is on, they appear to sit and listen with the occasional squawk.

In papers like these it's always worth checking what species of birds and what behaviour(s) were examined. In this study, only five birds' responses were actually monitored. The five birds came from three species and none were hookbills. The specific responses examined were flight behaviours and vocalisations. The researchers acknowledge that while there was a response in terms of increased vocalisations and flight behaviours, it's hard to know whether the response is a positive one of not - an increase in vocalisations could be linked to territoriality or stress, for example. Personally I'm not convinced that this particular study is especially useful to companion parrots and their people. The kind of behaviour that @Kendra describes (and I expect the kind of behaviour that people would like to see from their parrots) of the birds being quiet with the occasional squawk in response to a CD wouldn't be recorded as a behavioural response according to this study.

However, it's certainly nice to see that avian enrichment is being focused on and people are thinking more carefully about how to create a stimulating environment for captive birds.

Alfie loves to sing and will sing along to any music if he gets a chance, MrP and his singing of You'll never walk alone is errr wearing thing lol, the grey girls love a good bop

Back
Top Bottom