Moving Soon - 20 Questions Need Advice/help

Kendra

Soon, after all these years, we are moving to civilisation. The new place has a long narrowish room at the back where we will put the parrots, this has a couple of large windows. The idea is that each bird will have their cage on the inside with an opening straight out to an aviary. As they do not get along I think each will need their own outside space. Any ideas how we can make this happen through a window space, preferably with the glass remaining somehow, and without costing a fortune?

Also, whilst living here they have always had pure spring water, naturally treated without additives, this will change and we will have to be on the mains (and having pay for the water) I have no idea what they put in water these days and therefore how it could affect the birds, I understand that bottled water lacks many natural minerals etc.

Not sure how my husband would react if I requested huge water carriers full of the natural water taken down.

Good idea to have and opening part of the bird room so they can have outside aviary space and indoor too when they want or when you want them indoors. If they are sash windows I would think it possible to do it but no idea with other types, although I am sure members will have some advice.

As for water, wherever we have lived our birds have always had tap water, same as we do.

I just use tap water. Living in the North of Scotland the water is very soft here but where I used to live in London the water was much harder and yes, perhaps it might be an idea to offer bottled water but I imagine tap water is OK anyway.

Hi Kendra....good news for you at last on the moving front, ai hope it all goes well.

Yes you’ll certainly miss that lovely fresh water. Our tap water here isn’t very pleasant, it’s quite hard and we get a lot of limescale, and also because it comes via a water tower on top of the hill, it often seems over chlorinated, especially over bank holidays and if there are lots of extra folk around in the holiday season. We use Britta filters, used to have just a jug, but we have the built in big filter and tap now, this takes out the unwanted stuff, but leaves the minerals. If you do decide to use bottled water then it needs to be spring/mineral water, not the purified water types. It’s amazing how the taste of tap water can be significantly different depending on location.

I don’t have any experience of aviaries myself, but at one of the boarders I use, they have a small wall mounted enclosure which fits over the kitchen window by their sink, they open the window and pop the bird in...they also have a full size aviary now.

@Michael Reynolds We are heading for Croft in Lincolnshire, if this does not fall through, 2 already have, one was falling down and I really, really did love that place, the next had just too much asbestos in and my OH did not like it.

Our main concern was somewhere where our Zoo would fit, not annoy neighbours and maybe some places for us. This one is too small, ugly, not in the right area, needs a lot doing to make it right, BUT it will suit the animals, so I had little choice.

@TomsMum Miss that lovely fresh water?, no, no, tastes yucky, very heavy in lime, but never been a water lover. I feel because we have had pure water so long though the chemicals will be obvious. If we could take the UV water filter with us then we could use the local fresh water, but unfortunately not.

@dianaT No sash windows , each is one huge pain of glass and one small opener at the top, but if we changed the frames to ones will small upper opening parts, maybe that would work, wonder how much would 2 big windows cost?, we need at least 5 openings.

Back
Top Bottom