1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moulting Problem

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by Thomas smith, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Thomas smith

Thomas smith Registered

Hi, im after some advice about my 20yr old African grey. For the last few years it has been continuously moulting around the neck area. I have recently bought a full spectrum sun lamp to see if this could help. she has a well balanced diet and I spray her with a light mist of water every week. I would be grateful for any advice.

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi :welcome: Have you has her checked by an avian vet in case there is a reason for this, that may be the best course to take.
    Could she be rubbing her neck area on something - toys, cage, perch etc?
    Also can we have a photo as we love photos and do tell us her name. :thumbsup:

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

being around the neck area this is not plucking but most likely caused by excessive scratching has your bird sharp nails it may be good to get them trimmed. spay every two days. alternate plane water and with aloe Vera. bird lamp, nutria berries and garden time plus calcium sprinkled on food twice a week. garden time if possible. the bald areas may take time to recover as new feathers are not protected and can be irritating and easily break.

4. Roz

Roz Elected Forum Trainer Regular Member

:welcome: to the forum, Thomas!

Ditto what Diana said - an avian vet visit is always the first plan of action to rule out a medical reason. Could we have some pics of her, please? :)

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Thomas and :welcome: to the forum