1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moth

Discussion in 'Non Parrot Media' started by DizzyBlue, Aug 9, 2018.

1. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

This afternoon noticed a moth on the side of the house and was totally fascinated with it. It was huge but its paternation meant that it totally blended with the brickwork
    Haven't had a nosy around yet to find out which species it is if any of the rest of you know please sing out. To show the scale I held a 10p next to it … and its way bigger than one of those lol
    IMG_5613.JPG

sunnyring and Rain like this.
  2. Rain

Rain Regular Member

I have no idea of the species - but that's beautiful.

3. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It really is camouflaged on that wall.

4. Bradders

Bradders Parrot Power! Staff Member Moderator

Wow! That is so beautiful! Love it!

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Convolvulous hawk moth may be?

DizzyBlue likes this.
  6. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

very pretty.
    I however am off moths in general as I accidently swallowed one other day when locking hens up at night, shouted to the dog- and next thing moth attack!! straight in mouth, choked, coughed and spluttered but had swallowed it!!!! horrible!! more horrible for moth then me I admit but still was not nice...

dianaT likes this.
  7. DizzyBlue

sunnyring likes this.
  8. Bradders

Bradders Parrot Power! Staff Member Moderator

Tascha! Though to be fair, my reaction was halfway between utter horror and hysterics! Have swallowed a few insects during running at times but a moth! Poor @sunnyring

DizzyBlue and sunnyring like this.
  9. DizzyBlue

Moth is now identified, it's a red underwing (Catocala nupta)
    Had I chosen to disturb it I would have gotten to see that the back two wings hidden in the picture are bright red. But I chose not to disturb it and risk it being eaten.

https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/red-underwing
    [​IMG]

10. Rain

Rain Regular Member

Isn't that gorgeous!

11. DizzyBlue

If you look carefully at the picture I took apparently the give away is not just the dark stripe half way though the wings but the legs are black and white striped.

12. DizzyBlue

This moth thing is starting to freak me out a bit. Was out on the driveway getting the shopping out the car when a ruddy huge caterpillar got dropped next to me presumably by a passing bird.
    Anyway after a few minutes of panic I got my head together and picked him / her up on a large geranium leaf and stashed him on the garden wall beneath some plants. Went inside and got camera came back out and realised my mistake had to get ride of a couple of ants that had gone to attack him and moved him into one of the flower tubs at the other side of the garden where I know he will be hidden from view and there are no ants in it. I think its a large elephant hawk moth caterpillar. So will now start looking out for those moths looking on the internet they look stunning …. just as well when the caterpillar is errrr to be quite frank … ugly!
    Not sure how much damage he sustained from being dropped on to the concrete hopefully not too much took a picture of it next to a 10p to give a bit of scale
    cat 1.JPG cat 2.JPG

13. DizzyBlue

If he is an elephant hawk moth and survives then this is what he will change into apparently
    elephant-hm-3_for_web_keith-warmington.jpg

The story of the ugly duckling comes to mind :)

TomsMum likes this.
  14. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Err not sure I like the caterpillar but the moth is a beauty.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  15. DizzyBlue

Totally with you on that one Diana