Mosquito Repellent

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

It's now getting to the time when the midges and mozzies are around...
I have never been one for using sprays etc and eat loads of Marmite which helps repel bitey things. In the past I have used citronella oil but not sure if that is parrot safe? Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for mosquito repellents that are safe to use with Dora around.

I am sorry I cannot help you I do not use any but I have never herd of the marmite remedy, I do get bittern but I have the satisfaction of knowing the midges will dye once they get my blood Ha Ha

Hi Wendy...do you mean something for you to use, or plants that can be placed near Dora’s cage to keep mossies away from her?

Hi Wendy...do you mean something for you to use, or plants that can be placed near Dora’s cage to keep mossies away from her?
Either or both .... We haven't been here in the summer months before so not sure of the scale of the problem. Most mozzies are likely to be around in the evening when I am waiting for the chickens to go to bed, and Dora will be in bed by then... I will be fitting mesh screens so we can keep windows open at night. During the day she is usually with me anyway, very rarely in her cage in the house and in her small cage or aviary if we are in the garden. But any advice is welcomed.

I am sorry I cannot help you I do not use any but I have never herd of the marmite remedy, I do get bittern but I have the satisfaction of knowing the midges will dye once they get my blood Ha Ha
We had a troop round the Shepherd Neame brewery and they said that marmite is a by product of the brewing process and can help keep mosquitoes away if it's in your bloodstream and sweat! I still get bitten though!

I wonder if that is why my birds hardly bite me
More likely
@Wendy Cooper-Wolfe have a read through this post some of the things may help
https://theparrotclub.co.uk/communi...-safe-fly-and-bug-repellents.2065/#post-38130
Personally I use garlic sticks by Tidymix works a treat, chives in the garden to clear of the greenfly etc
If you have anything like a water / rain barrel near the house … stick a solid lid on it to stop the mossies from multiplying they like to use standing water.
Thank you, I am about to place an order for feed so will look for the garlic sticks too. We do have a water butt and it does have a lid, but we have a stream (that is very shallow and dries up in summer) about 50 metres away at the bottom of the garden. I use marigolds in pots and vases and hang rosemary up too.
PS How is Henni getting on?

Popped a Henni update in the morning thread
Where you live sounds totally beautiful, have pictures running around in my head of the descriptions you give :)

Popped a Henni update in the morning thread
Where you live sounds totally beautiful, have pictures running around in my head of the descriptions you give :)
Thank you, it is beautiful - although not totally state of the art and without a straight angle in the whole house its wonderful and we are so lucky to have found it - matched our "must have" list for being parrot, chicken and wildlife friendly, has no near neighbours, only around 4 cars pass by at rush hour and is a really romantic setting.
IMG-20180524-WA0000.jpg

I lived in South Africa for twenty five years and never had a mosquito bite. I always wondered what is was about my blood they didn't fancy. Scottish midgies on the other hand....[emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom