Monday 8th July

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning
Sun is out here but cloud for the rest of the week is forecast. I cracked on and mowed the lawn yesterday so it is tidy again, I miss young grandsons as they did this weekly while they stayed here to ear pocket money.
I must pop to the shops shortly.
Have a nice day folks.

cazimodo

Morning everyone. Sunny here too this morning. Cool, but looks like it will warm up quickly.

Hoping to get a call from the Vet either today or tomorrow to confirm that there isn't a medical reason for Ziggy's plucking, after which I'm not yet sure what we do next. I heard her doing it at 3am this morning; she does it when she's out of the cage with us and just ignores toys for the most part so it's getting harder to distract her (and exhausting I have to admit).

If there's no disease, I might have to seriously look into the hormone implant. She's determined to crawl under my cardigan and under my armpit (which she then nips), but now when I try to prevent her doing that she lunges out at me protecting her "territory" and bites, hard. She's like a little Tasmanian Devil at the moment.

I've been letting Frodo roost with her at night, but I now think I'll need to separate them completely as she's now plucking his downy feathers (to which he obviously retaliates, which ends up with major squabbling) and he already looks like an Indian ringneck with a grey fluffy ring around his neck where she's snipped off the green feathers

The joys of being a parront!

Have a lovely day y'all.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

cazimodo

I'm having the same problem with luna plucking cazimodo, she does it when out the cage in the cage in the aviary. She made some good progress then we went beach on Saturday and she plucked herself bold again :×(
Oh dear. It's so frustrating isn't it? I Just want to get inside Ziggy's little head and figure out what is going on in there

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Oh dear, poor parrots and you poor parents too. I often wonder what Dora is thinking! Our 8 yr old chicken came out of 7 weeks of broodiness last week and has started to lay again! Warm again here today and I will be doing a bit more decorating later having cleaned up the grotty area behind the fridge and freezer.
have a good day all

Michael Reynolds

Good morning or should I say afternoon, I tride to start the morning post but my laptop crashed half way through it. Then sho4tly after my electrics went. Tried to isolate each area to narrow down the problem but even with every thin off on reset it was fine could use the lights but as soon as I plunged any thing in it tripped. Test metre out. Thinking it was a fault on the socket circuit I went through it but could not trace the fault. I finally solved the problem as the fault was on the lighting circuit, I do not know whom wired up this place but I think it has been the reason for me often to have electrical problems, landlord informed I may rewire this place from scratch as I had to do the same to his place a few years ago, well the flock are fine, bathed and a pain while I was trying to sort out the electrics, landing on me, nibbling at my ear wanting my attentions. I can be so hard to get work done at times. Well its a lovely day not too hot but sunny so I will finally cut down the jungle outside and tidy the garden I will try to reply to your posts later as I am so far behind on my planned work I want to complete today so have a good day every one

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Afternoon all
@cazimodo I would be tempted to buy some fake eggs give them to your bird and let her go broody sit them and abandon them when she's finished the thought of them actually hatching get her into a proper breeding cycle get it out of her system and double check the protein levels your feeding. In the wild the birds have lean months and just before abundance of food months is when they go broody and get ready for the good months when food is the right kind for rearing chicks. Altering the kind of foods you feed but keeping nutrition at a high level could help out. Also knock off any warm foods she gets fed by you nothing mushy that could be considered regurgitated stuff and a love offering.
I really don't like the idea of stopping what is supposed to come naturally and rather refer mine to go through the cycle and it finish until the next year, if I had a chronic egg layer then perhaps I would think differently due to how much it strips the body of nutritional things, don't like them having drugs if I can avoid it ….. she said with her eyes skywards knowing the fridge is full of flipping stuff for Henni the SCUD monster!
@Yellowchickenparrot Luna I would say is having her hormones bouncing up and down house / pet parrots have a tendency to reach sexual maturity earlier than aviary birds. I wouldn't worry about the plucking. Had the same issue with one of mine and when she got into proper breeding cycle 18 months later the snipping / plucking ended and now feather sort of perfect - still looks a tad scruffy especially at moulting time when apparently everything known to mankind itches. I have upped the humidity level in the house to compensate and keep it between 50 to 55% - drastic yes but it worked so not complaining... for a change!Thing is if you stress she will pick up on yoru stress and then further stress as hard as it is to say don't get yourself upset about it it's one of those things, there's nothing in her environment that would produce the reaction, nothing food wise, its not lack of interaction nor too much interaction, it's not due to splitting the daytime / night time hours so in summary its nothing you could point a finger at and say that is the reason. Deep breath and .... carry on.
In my lack of wisdom I went to the doctors this morning to ask if I could have a change to the ace inhibitor I take as its causing acid reflux to a point I throw up at night. Solution as far as I could see is simple the product I take is not the only one on the market take a different one that doesn't give me acid reflux. But oh no nothing that simple :BangHead: take another tablet to stop the side effect of the first one ..... and because of the side effect of the first one means your blood pressure has gone up so lets change the blood pressure tablet as well ... hmm you have a cough that is a side effect of the tablet so lets send you for an xray and check its not something else say like to do with your parrots .... :watchout: they're not playing with a full deck.... so now have more tablets to take than I originally started with ... how is that logical? :copas:
Tried to contact Nigel but mobile phone is switched off so can't tell you all how he's doing if any of the rest of you are in contact like through something like facebook etc please pass on our best regards to him.
Onwards and upwards as they say ... hot and sticky here so thinking there may be a thunderstorm in the offering, just got to get the last load of washing out there and dried before it decides to arrive. :yikes:

cazimodo

Thanks @DizzyBlue. I'm not keen on using drugs either, so if I can work out a natural way to help her instead as you suggest, then I'd rather do that.

Human drugs...I think a lot of it is trial and error to be honest. I've had stuff prescribed in combination in the past that has had the pharmacist throw a hissy fit!

dianaT

Staff member
@DizzyBlue Sorry but that made me smile re medication so blooming typical, talk about taking stoppers & starters.
Sometime a pharmacist gives better advice, may not be able to prescribe but..... As @cazimodo mentioned...goes to prove they know more how medication works than many a GP does.
As for Nigel it's rather a worry but nothing we can do is there. I wonder whether he is still in hospital, did you ask ward 32?

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I will rattle at this rate :tmnt:
:emoji_notes: anybody got any musical requests for me to rattle out?
I haven't called the hospital @dianaT didn't want to bother them am sure they have plenty to deal with without additional stuff from peeps like me calling especially with it being Ward 32.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
@Yellowchickenparrot She's getting those first burst of hormones wafting through her body and more than likely not entirely sure what to do with them. Rather like human children turning into adults … leaping around and full of weird energy and strange moods …. Young greys in a group often "practice" on each other for the future do some of the mating behaviour such as regurgitating or preening or displaying etc don't mean the actual mating part of it .... which I suppose kind of serves as a release for them and a learning curve.
I give my lot bundles of willow bound up for them to spend time stripping the leaf and bark off for one of my greys this kind of gave her a release for the snipping part plus doing my best to not reward the behaviour in the first place … kind of hard when your watching your bird snip and beating yourself up for not being able to stop it. BUT it has worked for mine and now back to full feather and no more snipping :emoji_fingers_crossed:
I had to have an ambulance come by a couple of years ago and the paramedics has those bright yellow jackets on cause no end of issues with my youngest she had a complete flipping melt down and stripped the feathers from both legs all the way up to show her chicken drumsticks in two days when the penny dropped that they weren't coming back these strangers with nightmare colours crinkly noises and strange behaviour carting her mum off things settled down.
Side note before you wonder why the ambulance came had no choice at all I bent down and jammed my back and was unable to move even after 4 hours of laying on the floor :emoji_face_palm:

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
O dear I know all about back pain:×( I may go and find some branches for Luna and put in her cage but she doesn't show much interest in them in the aviary.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

oh dear , good luck with all the parrot and human treatments and medications - when I was working in elderly rehab it was well known that people who were on more than 4 medications significantly increased the risk of falls, and that some people who couldnt get to see their own GP benefitted from seeing a locum because they looked at the person with fresh eyes, sometimes removing unnecessary meds from the repeat prescription list.

Top Bottom