Monday 30th Sept

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning
Well end of the month all ready @DizzyBlue - it's the day The Big Ship Sailed etc.....!

It never rained last night or yet this morning but seems like more on the way so must not get too excited.

Our gutter over the garden door was blocked and in the heavy rain you got soaked if you needed to walk out the door. Daughter & grandson came to lunch yesterday so hubby got the ladder out and teenage grandson climbed up and found a tennis ball in the gutter (this was left from the summer when youngest grandsons were staying here). So that was great of teenage grandson to climb up and remove it. In the past hubby would have been able to do that but he is waiting for double knees replacement which will have to be next year, so he's not very mobile or nimble now.

Anyway, hope you all have a nice day.

Michael Reynolds

Good Morning Diana and Hevan01 all that follow, it has not been a bad night and no rain this morning, birds are in fine voice and calling for me, Diana have you given your hubby that stuff in cans that gives wings, he might of just been able to fly up there to get the ball, A foggy start normally turns into a lovely day mind you my windows are steamed up I spayed the flock yesterday and I do not have double glazing. have a good day today every one

HEVAN01

Registered
Ooh on the topic of spraying............ Is it OK to spray Beryl? I know they like water but I don't want him to think he has done something wrong. I bought a spray but have only used it on my plants. Am worried about using it on him.

Michael Reynolds

Many birds just love being spayed but if your bird is not used to being sprayed then try to spay it above him so it fills more like rain, always make it a happy time by singing and dancing and send the video for us all to watch and for us to correct you if you are doing it wrong. many birds will need to get soaking wet before they enjoy the experience not all birds take to spraying straight away so (you may need to watch you birds body language so it dose not get too stressed) and start flapping there wings. I normally spray mine twice a week but do not spray too late in the day as they need to be dry for night time. water at room temperature is best, as this will not give a sudden change in the temperatures around your bird.

Last edited:

HEVAN01

Registered
Thanks for that. Will give it a go. I have trouble just sticking photos on will take me forever to figure out how to pu video on lol.

Beaky

Morning all, a bit of rain in the night but this morning has been really sunny and calm at mo. Rain due to come here at 2pm and carry on until tomorrow afternoon. Due to be 4c only for a couple of nights here this week, that will be a shock. already had log stove on twice, I notice the birds are hanging around the empty feeders so been up to Wilko and got lots of peanuts and seeds, also more meal worms for robin and noticed they are now selling an 'insect medley' with additional insects with mealworms with a picture of a robbin so got that and it has already had a feed of then.
Was up really early this morning as had to be at daus to let the boiler service bloke in when she rang to say she taking the day off.. oh well its a good morning so got outside stuff done early. Enjoy your day, hope it stays dry fro you all, cheers.

HEVAN01

Registered
Morning all, a bit of rain in the night but this morning has been really sunny and calm at mo. Rain due to come here at 2pm and carry on until tomorrow afternoon. Due to be 4c only for a couple of nights here this week, that will be a shock. already had log stove on twice, I notice the birds are hanging around the empty feeders so been up to Wilko and got lots of peanuts and seeds, also more meal worms for robin and noticed they are now selling an 'insect medley' with additional insects with mealworms with a picture of a robbin so got that and it has already had a feed of then.
Was up really early this morning as had to be at daus to let the boiler service bloke in when she rang to say she taking the day off.. oh well its a good morning so got outside stuff done early. Enjoy your day, hope it stays dry fro you all, cheers.
[/QUOTE
Blimey have had our stove on loads. I love it all warm n cosy.

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
Errrrrrrrrrrr just lugged a massive piece of furniture with a thousand draws down my twisty stairs by myself to only have the girl who's buying it turn up in a corsa even after asking for measurements......you can't help some people what part of big estate car did she not get. Moody man moment

Ararajuba

Afternoon people! Lots of silly drama here currently! The in-laws are driving the wife round the twist here (mostly her, but it's bothering me too due to it involving me and she being the wife) by behaving like characters in a 3rd rate Brazilian soap opera and being absolutely impervious to reason or common sense. Latest is that the SIL, who wouldn't normally volunteer to wee on us if we were on fire, has offered to go and pick up nephew when he arrives at the end of the week. We presume that, given what they've been coming out with lately, the real reason is that she wants to see whether he is handsome (enough for her). Since he's about 10 years younger I very much doubt he would be interested, though I suppose stranger things have happened.

If anyone here was capable of behaving like sane adults, it would actually be easier if she went as the car will be rather full if we all go, and although he could catch uber or a taxi, he doesn't speak a word of Portuguese, which is rather a handicap here where very few people speak English. So I was just going to tell her the flight details, and leave the rest up to them, but:

She and her mother have been winding each other up lots about this by going on and on about it, and also annoying FIL, who has already stated fairly clearly that he wants nothing to do with the subject. They even started on at him again after wife had made MIL promise, in no uncertain terms, to leave him alone. To hear them talk SIL and unfortunate nephew have already arranged their nuptials (I've withheld the worst of this from nephew, poor lad doesn't need to know this much). SIL then got scared to go by herself as she doesn't know the airport very well (it's actually a relatively small one, I think she can manage).

FIL therefore turned up today looking very tired and stressed and wanting to blame me and nephew for his problems, even though the behaviour of the women in his household has essentially nothing to do with us. He seems both exasperated with the topic and worried about being roped in against his will by being asked at the very last minute to go and pick him up (this is indeed the kind of trick MIL and SIL would pull), and has therefore asked wife not to give anyone the flight details. (Actually, only I know the flight details, and he didn't bother saying this to me, because he knows I would have told his wife off for causing trouble, and he thinks she needs to be protected from the consequences of her actions, a belief which is a good part of the problem here.) Of course if we don't tell anyone, wife is worried that MIL and especially SIL will think we are trying to stop them meeting out of malice, and SIL, who already doesn't get on with wife, is sure to blame her, not just for stopping her meeting him, but for preventing all the further consequences that she and her mother are imagining might happen. Yes, she could just come here if she wanted to meet him that much, but that would be too simple and common-sensical, so I don't think it will be happening.

I'm currently reseaching the conventions of Brazilian soap opera script-writing. I think there could be money in this one, with a bit of work... :confundio1:

Last edited:

Michael Reynolds

it dose sound like a soap in the making, I am surprised the SIL has not already booked the wedding, the FIL dose not want to pay for the wedding and the MIL just wants to get rid of the SIL to someone she thinks will be like you.

Ararajuba

@Michael Reynolds - at the present rate, this is what will be coming next. All without the consent or even awareness of these plans by their victim (nephew), of course!

Lots of wildlife around here today. I think the rains are livening everything up. The kiskadee who usually comes to steal the dog's food came with a mate, presumably to show her where the food is in preparation for raising their chicks on it later. (Kiskadees are experts at stealing dog food.) Unfortunately I couldn't get a photo or film as I had the conures out at the time and they wouldn't have been impressed by me handling the camera, of which they have become a bit phobic lately. The kiskadees both performed the same little ritual of screaming in triumph to let everyone know they were there and had found food (this set inside birds off, especially the budgies who think wild birds are their friends). Then they swooped down and picked a pellet each, before giving it a good bashing on the fence to kill it and swallowing it whole. Then, despite the fact there were more pellets, they flew off with more screaming, presumably to go to inspect the next bowl on their daily round!

Wife saw a grey monkey on the garden wall holding something flappy, which was apparently screaming, while I was still asleep. She thought for a moment that it had caught a bird, but then realized it was flapping in the wrong way and had too many wings. It turned out to be a huge insect, perhaps a locust or cicada. I would be quite glad if that was what the monkey caught, as they have been eating my citrus saplings! Another monkey with typical monkey manners tried to snatch it and they ran off with monkey no.2 in hot pursuit, the huge insect still struggling, having got a short reprieve from being eaten.

We were also woken up at 4 am by the seriemas screaming, who seem to have become almost as bad as the local cockerel for making premature dawn calls (he sometimes starts at midnight or 1 am). This woke up big girl and scared her, of course. Lots of big parrot noise from the neighbours' garden too but I didn't manage to see what the culprits were due to the high wall. From the noise and previous sightings, I would suspect either mealy amazons or yellow-faced parrots. I've seen a pair of the latter flying overhead nearly every afternoon as I'm taking the dog for a walk around dusk - I presume they are returning to a nest quite nearby in the wilderness from foraging in people's gardens. Rather shy birds though so it's difficult to see them close-up.

Michael Reynolds

the soap opera is never ending, I love the way you describe all the events and happenings in and around your home. , went to London today to fix a tap to the outside wall of my god daughters home, had to go to B$Q to get some bits, I got distracted by the ringnecks flying and playing around the car park, got some seed from my car and placed near a tree by me, I then placed some on the bonnet of the car and just sat there, slowly they came down by the tree and explored what I left them, they then came on my car and took the seed I had left. my god daughter wondered what kept me so I said there was problems with the traffic, opps a little white lie but if i had told her what really happened she may of been annoyed.
I love the wild life but will be in my glory having the parrots of other species flying about here.

Top Bottom