Monday 1st June

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning ....June already!
I wonder how many folk will venture out today having been told they can now do so if they were on the shielding list. I hope folk use their common sense.
Enjoy the day everyone, it looks like sun is forecast for at least the next few days, mind the ground really does need some rain.

Michael Reynolds

Good morning Diana and all that follow, have no plans to go out today but my neighbor wants me to help her to lay artificial grass on her pathways, it ok I am not doing the work I am only instructing. its a bright and sunny start and all the flock are active. have a good day every one

Tonifrax

Registered
Barely slept all night, woke up like every 2 hours and now have just been awakened by what sounds like someone murdering a flute!!? 😭

Parrotlets back together and no issues so far. I am bored out of my mind at this point and need to go shopping today but really cannot be bothered.

JackAndRob

Morning all,

Looks like it is going to be another fine day here in the West Mids.

Frankie decided to land on my shoulder for the first time yesterday evening. Yin and I held our breaths to see what he would do. Frankie had a quick scratch then took off to check out what was happening in the living room. We were fairly sure that he would do this eventually, once he'd found the courage. The attraction was Jessie, who was perched on my other shoulder.

This is substantial progress. He doesn't normally like me approaching him so we've switched tactics - let him slowly close the gap when he's comfortable to do so.

Michael Reynolds

I did go out visiting yesterday evening but I did keep social distancing, I am no longer allowed or capable to ride my bike so I gave it away to a friend that I met not long ago so he can use it to get to work this morning as he dose not drive and was not looking forwards in using busses as the chance of being close to a covid virus carrier will be increased, He was not expecting it and only mentioned his fears to me the other day and said he will be looking for a bike. He thought it was a new bike and refused to take it but I told him I have had it for seven years and if he did not want it the bike will only slowly rot in my garden. well he did accept it saying he could not afford such a nice bike and promised me he will keep it like new.

Lauraj

Registered
Good morning everybody!

Very bright and warm in Yorkshire today! Bo is extra loud this morning, shouting and whistling every tune he has ever known which is lovely to me!
Had a small incident in the kitchen whilst making breakfast, he got scared by a noise from houses nearby and jumped off the worktop to land on me, he tried to fly to me and managed to land on my arm. Full of scratches ontop of sunburn but at least he is trying to get to us now 😂

Going to take the boyfriend's grandma some bits down this morning as she is still staying in the house, very happy that she is! She also has a parrotlet named george so going to take that little monkey some pieces down!
Going to spend the rest of the day washing, cleaning and getting ready for work. My days off go very fast each week!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Hello folks,
I was a bit shocked to see so many people on the beach on last nights news, i know that people are rebelling against the Dominic Cummings but i thought sense and self preservation would prevail.

Its a warm and sunny morning with yellow warnings for thunderstorms this afternoon and later in the week. Dora has met the local domicilary carer that we have come to know (she stopped the car at the end of the drive one evening and so i asked if she was ok) we now wave regularly and she just pulled up today to day that her visits are coming to an end, she spotted Dora sitting in her cage and they have had a socially distanced introduction.
As fresh food is more seasonal here i havent been able to buy tangerines or satsumas, but Dora has found a liking for oranges, (at least for today she does, tomorrow is another story)
Keep well folksIMAG1878~2.jpg

Kendra

Morning everyone or should I say afternoon, slept in again today but the dogs woke me so it was not too late. Hope everyone is keeping well and enjoying the sun, we could really do with some rain though.

Why can you not ride your bike anymore @Michael Reynolds ? Daughter has just nabbed my latest new bike, I doubt I will see it again, last 2 she borrowed never reappeared. I do have problems with my balance though, but I keep trying.

Michael Reynolds

Just over two years ago I had a thrombosis in my leg (the start of my health decline) the position that it formed was thought to be partly caused by the saddle of the bike, this would not of stopped me but it had affected the muscles that mean I cannot walk too far with out pain let alone peddle the bike. my recent operation has not helped as I cannot afford to excel my self at the moment, I did try last week to cycle to my local shop and only got a very short distance from my home before I had to stop.

JessCheekyMia

Hi all, well it looks like I won't get out anytime soon. I know us shielders are allowed out now but Roy and my other family members all say no I am not allowed out!!! Roy wants to wait it out and see what happens to the gradual lock down eases.
The thing is I can't get out the way if people don't respect social distance and come close, I am a sitting target really.

I am sorry to hear you can't ride your bike anymore Michael.

I asked for a bike a year after I had a rod put into my femur. I was desperate to be normal. This is years ago when I was 17. I got my brother to help teach me as I didn't get the chance to ride a bike when I was a child. So off I went and my brother said "now you need to brake" so I did but he didn't tell me I had to put my foot on the ground. So I fell 😧. Didn't go back on again. Hospital said I was lucky I had the rod in as that was the side I fell on. After I was checked over everyone laughed!!!!

Ararajuba

Woke up late today to find Wayne the budgie really struggling. According to wife his vicious little spouse Malvadinha (her name in Portuguese approximately means Little Miss Evil, which she has always done her best to live up to) wouldn`t let him eat (she was always like this even when he wasn`t having problems), and kept chasing him from the food every time he managed to struggle up there with his bad foot. I think he may be getting some problems with the other too, but he may just be exhausted from all the struggle, as he had apparently been stubbornly struggling to clamber up to the perch to eat, only to be driven off again, for several hours. I put him on the perch next to the food and he started eating ravenously, but before long Malvadinha showed up to attack him viciously and drive him back to the floor. He could only eat in peace when I was constantly there shooing her away every 20 seconds or so. I therefore took the obvious step, dug out and cleaned the spare small cage, and transferred a reluctant, flapping, struggling, biting Malvadinha to it.

She seems lively enough at least, but I wish I knew what was the matter with him. It`s like he has lost strength in his feet the last couple of days (one being worse than the other) though he was able to perch with most of his weight on the less affected foot last night, and clamber round the cage, with some difficulty as only one foot seemed able to grab the bars. Otherwise he seems relatively lively and is not particularly fluffed up, so I`m still hopeful he will survive once he`s had a break from the harassment, though I know these little things can go downhill very quickly once they get bad. I`ve put food and water with extra vitamins, in case that helps, where he can easily reach them on the floor of the cage. Any ideas on what could be the matter?

Michael Reynolds

it is a light cage so should be easy to move in and out Laura. I wonder if your bird has damaged a ligament, it can take a few weeks to get over. check him in case he gets a swelling at the top of the leg Ararajuba

Ararajuba

@Michael Reynolds - I haven't noticed anything like that yet. I don't want to handle him too much for closer examination until he gets some strength back though, as he's not very tame. Does it need any specific treatment if that's what he has? What usually causes things like that? I've heard a lot of squabbling in the cage at night lately, so it's possible he hurt his foot by flying into the side of the cage or falling on the bottom while flapping around in the dark due to this.

AMD

Hello folks,
I was a bit shocked to see so many people on the beach on last nights news, i know that people are rebelling against the Dominic Cummings but i thought sense and self preservation would prevail.

Its a warm and sunny morning with yellow warnings for thunderstorms this afternoon and later in the week. Dora has met the local domicilary carer that we have come to know (she stopped the car at the end of the drive one evening and so i asked if she was ok) we now wave regularly and she just pulled up today to day that her visits are coming to an end, she spotted Dora sitting in her cage and they have had a socially distanced introduction.
As fresh food is more seasonal here i havent been able to buy tangerines or satsumas, but Dora has found a liking for oranges, (at least for today she does, tomorrow is another story)
Keep well folksView attachment 29983
Great picture

JackAndRob

@Lauraj we have one of those cages, in the Antique colour rather than Stone. I remember assembling it and realising that I'd put the legs on the wrong way around :rolleyes: It was originally for our Quaker Bailey, but we keep it assembled and covered in the garage in case a temporary emergency/quarantine/separation/whatever cage is required. I think it's a Liberta.

CaptainHowdy

Decided to go round a few pet shops today to look for an outdoor cage for my Bo.
'A look' turned into a new cage for the birdie!

It's not extra large but is big enough for him to be outdoors.. he's already showing interest on a positive!
Excited now to set the cage up!😁

Hope everyone has had a great day!
View attachment 29989
What's the bar spacing on the cage? Could just be the way the picture is but it looks more like budgie sized spacing? Just concerned about the little ones toes getting stuck. Especially with the swirly bits at the top. Id also keep a close eye as it doesn't look particularly strong and I've seen parrot break the bars of their cages if they aren't strong enough 😲

Top Bottom