Monday 12th August 2019

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Oooo late morning thread, only just realised it not here.
Weather is … rubbish over here
Not a lot going on. Birdies are busy destroying stuff as per usual. Henni making a lovely mess with a corn on the cob that is now corn on the wallpaper and corn on the curtains amongst other things!
Alfie has a new pin flight feather coming through just waiting to have permission see how many more are left to shed and come through before I post the latest batch of flight feathers off to the vets for them to use to imp other birds with to give them their flight back. Do like the recycle and benefit it has for others. Fuzzy feeling inside!
Whatever your up to today stay safe and to those unwell hug massive hugs to you x

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning, we have sun here after a raining night. I am pleased as with family here there is always mounds of washing.
Parrots all done & fed, wild birds and dogs fed plus old goldfish and of course people, and I managed to down a nice coffee plus warm croissant!
Enjoy the day all.

KateA

Oooo late morning thread, only just realised it not here.
Weather is … rubbish over here
Not a lot going on. Birdies are busy destroying stuff as per usual. Henni making a lovely mess with a corn on the cob that is now corn on the wallpaper and corn on the curtains amongst other things!
Alfie has a new pin flight feather coming through just waiting to have permission see how many more are left to shed and come through before I post the latest batch of flight feathers off to the vets for them to use to imp other birds with to give them their flight back. Do like the recycle and benefit it has for others. Fuzzy feeling inside!
Whatever your up to today stay safe and to those unwell hug massive hugs to you x
Morning. Just reading about yr saving feathers.
I have quite a few from my Cag some a couple of yrs old. If any good I'm happy to send them on if it helps.
Kate

Michael Reynolds

Good Morning every one, its a dry start but with cloud, All the flock are fine and the gang are doing there racing from one room to another again. Bobbie and Cash had a good night and have settled in well, plenty of whistling from Cash and Bobbie is on his swing and swinging back and forth. they are getting visits from my other flock members, each of them are used to senegals so know to avoid there beaks when on top of Bobbies cage just in case.
IMG_1113.JPG IMG_1112.JPG

Michael Reynolds

No chickens to attend to as the owners are back from there hols, I was lovely to meet you Kate and your partner, I am glade you finally got to stroke my sennies, well what did you think of my quiet Too Buster Ha Ha, Cash is a little nervous of me but has settled in to the cage with out any problem so has Bobbie but I think he has made a friend with Reggie and Molly. Bobbie just carried on swinging when I put his breakfast in his bowl and did not pay any attention to me going in his area I hope you have a great holiday.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
The feathers need to be of the following standard to be able to be used.
In good condition not chewed and played with so if they have the feathery part stripped off they will unfortunately not be able to be used, if they have the feather shaft (main white bit down the middle) chewed and damaged they also won't be able to be used. If there is just a tiny small split int he feather that when you run your fingers over it you can kind of patch it back together then that is just where the little hooks have come unzipped and they are ok to use as the birds will sort it out when preening. Cor hard to explain! Err if you have pictures of feathers to send lay them out flat and take a piccie bang it on forum and will tell you if they are all ok if your unsure.
Its the flight feathers (the big feathers not the smaller ones that cover the big ones which are coverts) only that are used. So none of the smaller feathers nor tail feathers etc.
So as long as the feathers match that description then the vets use them.
Marked for the attention of Mr Tom Dutton. https://www.gwexotics.com/tom-dutton/ address is down the bottom right hand side of the site.

On another note … If your feathers hold special memories and cannot be replaced say they are from a dearly loved feather friend who has gone to rainbow bridge then how about make them into a dream catcher :)

I sent all Dizzy's feathers to be used for imping personally I think he would have liked that better than a dream catcher since he was robbed of his ability to fly he gave others the chance to get back what he had had taken forever.

KateA

I w
The feathers need to be of the following standard to be able to be used.
In good condition not chewed and played with so if they have the feathery part stripped off they will unfortunately not be able to be used, if they have the feather shaft (main white bit down the middle) chewed and damaged they also won't be able to be used. If there is just a tiny small split int he feather that when you run your fingers over it you can kind of patch it back together then that is just where the little hooks have come unzipped and they are ok to use as the birds will sort it out when preening. Cor hard to explain! Err if you have pictures of feathers to send lay them out flat and take a piccie bang it on forum and will tell you if they are all ok if your unsure.
Its the flight feathers (the big feathers not the smaller ones that cover the big ones which are coverts) only that are used. So none of the smaller feathers nor tail feathers etc.
So as long as the feathers match that description then the vets use them.
Marked for the attention of Mr Tom Dutton. https://www.gwexotics.com/tom-dutton/ address is down the bottom right hand side of the site.

On another note … If your feathers hold special memories and cannot be replaced say they are from a dearly loved feather friend who has gone to rainbow bridge then how about make them into a dream catcher :)

I sent all Dizzy's feathers to be used for imping personally I think he would have liked that better than a dream catcher since he was robbed of his ability to fly he gave others the chance to get back what he had had taken forever.
I'll look after holiday and see what I have. X

Katie Marie

Registered
[/QUOTE]
Making a dream catcher is a brilliant idea. I kept some of Casper's feathers from his last moult. I already gave him a nice garden memorial with a giant metal budgie but a dream catcher is a great use for his feathers. I really miss him. He was my favourite.

KateA

It was great to have a sennie who wanted me to stroke them and kept sayin hello.
Cash is a tad phobic especially new, unknown.
It's good he's whistling and dancing. Seeing other Grey's is good for him. He loves Cashew nuts.
Bobbie often doesn't eat his food straight away. If it was a toast or porridge he'd be willing it down.
If Bobbie ever doesn't want u in The cage to feed and clean just show him a spray bottle or hoover.he doesn't like them and just moves up the cage and watches his bowls changed nicely.
No chickens to attend to as the owners are back from there hols, I was lovely to meet you Kate and your partner, I am glade you finally got to stroke my sennies, well what did you think of my quiet Too Buster Ha Ha, Cash is a little nervous of me but has settled in to the cage with out any problem so has Bobbie but I think he has made a friend with Reggie and Molly. Bobbie just carried on swinging when I put his breakfast in his bowl and did not pay any attention to me going in his area I hope you have a great holiday.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
hmmm just realised today is the 12th ….. the day shooting commences for 121 days of the grouse :(

KateA

Cash is eating his breakfast but has not taken anything from me yet, he gets close but has not plucked up the courage yet
He's never been put in a different cage and left with a stranger in a place he doesn't know and lots of birdies. It didn't help that Bobbie tried and still tries but much less to bully him. He isn't a conflict bird which I like about him.

KateA

Cash has just taken some walnut from my hand:thumbsup: @KateA
Wonderful. He's a good Mr bird.
U know how picky they are.
He's been with us for 4 or more yrs and I can do everything, where Rob is liked as a mate. He's not allowed to stroke him.
My friend and her 14 yr old daughter looked after him and Cash was hers after two days. Kissing her and the rest. Poor Rob. X

KateA

I'm missing my babies. It's so strange without them. I'm meant to last three weeks.
Ppl what do u do when u dont see yrs?

Top Bottom