Monday 10th May

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning still a wet and windy one down here.

Just heard disturbing news on the radio about Cicadas - an insect that hatches & lives underground and swarms emerge every 17yrs this is the year for them! Lucky for us (I hope) this happens in the Eastern part of the USA, so lets hope they stay there. Apparently the sky goes black with the swarms :yikes:

So with that news in mind - have a nice day!

Hi all, I remember seeing stuff about cicadas a few years ago. I think my issue would be scared of stepping on them! :eek: I can't stand the crunching of stuff bleurgh! Weather here is sunny, cloudy, wet dry, windy today. Birdies are loose in their room and I've just spied on the cctv, Gary is chilling on his favourite ceiling swing and Bebe fluffed up on the highest rope :D. Have a good day everyone!

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Evening all
Cicadas are wonderful to listen too used to hear them when I lived in Oz, ugly bugs but the total meaning of tropical nights in the sound they create.
Have to say it's like the Marie Celeste on here today lol you all must be busy bunnies :) we've had pitch black skies thunder lightening and torrential down pours with blue sky and sunshine inbetween oh and a little hail most peculiar weather day.
I had multiple shopping to do today with having to do two stints of shopping as everyone forgot things off their lists today.
Also did a fast trip up north had a coffee with Bob and zipped back down again.
Rooms gone dark again think the next downpour is going to arrive again.... Think I will be needing some wellies soon at this rate :watchout:
Whatever your all up to I hope everyone has had a good day.

Michael Reynolds

Good evening all, Had a new arrival two days ago, thought i will try to check my breeding equipment so i placed a few eggs in and one so far as hatchednew Duck.jpg

will have him/her for around two weeks until i can tell the sex, but awaiting to see if any of the other eggs will hatch. its ok i know the duck has a good home to go too depending on its sex, where it will be with other ducks as i know they need to be with other ducks. all the flock are fine, have a good day all

MellyM

Registered
Hello All, I am having wasps appear in the house ! Just wondering if any one can direct me to a thread about wasps (if there is one of here).

Gulliver is fine, I am just panicking that he will die if stung. Seems to be only one wasp appearing at a time. I have put down a natural repellent mixture and waiting on a call back from pest control.

Thanks

dianaT

Staff member
Hi, we get wasps too sometime one after the other, I either swat them of let them out the window depending where they are, they tend not to go to my parrots cages though even when there's fruit there. But I understand your concern. Do you know where they are getting in, is there a nest they are building near by - pest control will sort that out. Indoors you could try placing a jam jar with jam etc in and see if they go in then yu can dispose of them.

MellyM

Registered
Hi, we get wasps too sometime one after the other, I either swat them of let them out the window depending where they are, they tend not to go to my parrots cages though even when there's fruit there. But I understand your concern. Do you know where they are getting in, is there a nest they are building near by - pest control will sort that out. Indoors you could try placing a jam jar with jam etc in and see if they go in then yu can dispose of them.
Thanks for your reply. This is an old building, there are vents that I think used to lead outside but are blocked by new cladding on the building. I suspect the vent shaft a have no been blocked off properly (hence why I can hear / smell whatever my neighbour is doing). I have found a hole in the wall, between the living room and bedroom, with an old tv cable, clearly a previous resident wanted cable tv in the bedroom haha ! I have blocked this hole with packing paper. The neighbour check the attic space, nothing there apparently. Pest control said they will call in the morning with advice.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
@MellyM
Don't fret about the wasps and your birds wasps are wearing the yellow and black jacket colours of the don't mess with me brigade and parrots do understand that. Be more concerned about what wasp killer your pest control is going to use! Personally have had lots of nests in my loft, garden, garage and a few other places usually have a nest every year (flipping things!) I use a product called Ardap to kill them off just make sure that your room is well ventilated and don't spray it in the parrot room directly although designed for bird rooms it has very particular stipulations on ventilation and distance it can be sprayed around birds. The other thing to do is wander around the rooms that the wasps have been found in make sure that you look at where the pipes for radiators come through the wall and that there is no gap around the pipe if there is then stuff the hole with cotton wool to prevent them walking along pipes and heading for any light source they can see.
Outside I use glass wasp traps and bait it with a spoon of jam or honey that I mix with warm water to make sure that the water turns syrup like, best thing with them is its very rare I ever get anything other than a wasp in the trap sometimes there is the odd moth but never bees :)
Koopman Wasp Trap Glass (Choice of 3) - Pest Control - Old Railway Line Garden Centre (oldrailwaylinegc.co.uk)

You can make your own wasp traps using a plastic lemonade bottle :)

MellyM

Registered
@MellyM
Don't fret about the wasps and your birds wasps are wearing the yellow and black jacket colours of the don't mess with me brigade and parrots do understand that. Be more concerned about what wasp killer your pest control is going to use! Personally have had lots of nests in my loft, garden, garage and a few other places usually have a nest every year (flipping things!) I use a product called Ardap to kill them off just make sure that your room is well ventilated and don't spray it in the parrot room directly although designed for bird rooms it has very particular stipulations on ventilation and distance it can be sprayed around birds. The other thing to do is wander around the rooms that the wasps have been found in make sure that you look at where the pipes for radiators come through the wall and that there is no gap around the pipe if there is then stuff the hole with cotton wool to prevent them walking along pipes and heading for any light source they can see.
Outside I use glass wasp traps and bait it with a spoon of jam or honey that I mix with warm water to make sure that the water turns syrup like, best thing with them is its very rare I ever get anything other than a wasp in the trap sometimes there is the odd moth but never bees :)
Koopman Wasp Trap Glass (Choice of 3) - Pest Control - Old Railway Line Garden Centre (oldrailwaylinegc.co.uk)

You can make your own wasp traps using a plastic lemonade bottle :)
Thank you so much

Top Bottom