Molting

Danyal Bazmi

Registered
Hi guys, hope you are good.

My bird has recently began to molt and has become more sleepy and quiet. Is this behaviour normal? Could you share your experiences.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

ok you should have DEFRA paper work with your grey, this should state the sex of your bird and confirm its age, I will say that moulting can make a bird more quitter but I am a little concerned about being sleepy, what's his name? I am going out now but will reply later.

ok you should have DEFRA paper work with your grey, this should state the sex of your bird and confirm its age, I will say that moulting can make a bird more quitter but I am a little concerned about being sleepy, what's his name? I am going out now but will reply later.
Yes I have the paperwork but doesn't say whether it's male/female. His name is Rico.

Moulting takes a lot out of a bird. Have you upped the amount of food that is available to account for the extra energy put into the production of new feathers? Most birds are very wasteful and a lot of food ends up on the floor, but there should always be food left in the bowls at the end of the day.

What diet is Rico on? Fed a correct diet, a bird should not need supplements for moulting (and egg laying, which also has an increased energy requirement) unless advised by an avian vet. My birds have a seed mix as part of their diet and anything left at the end of the day is discarded as the bulk of it at that stage includes a lot of shells, husks, cases, etc with no nutritional value. This is particularly true of our budgies as they have a higher proportion of seed in their diet compared to our other birds.

What environment is Rico kept in and has it changed recently? Anything potentially there that could account for drowsiness - temperature, humidity, air quality, aromas, air fresheners, etc? Has the room/home been decorated recently?

Rico is still a baby and it is normal for youngsters to sleep more.. Have you spotted a sleep pattern? Birds are most active at the start and end of the day but it is usual for birds of all ages to power nap at various times of the day - babies even more so.

How is Rico's general demeanour and his relationship with other members of the home? He has not been with you long given his age. Could his sleepiness just be normal baby behaviour, along with showing that he is settling down and feeling happy enough in himself to thoroughly relax?

Moulting takes a lot out of a bird. Have you upped the amount of food that is available to account for the extra energy put into the production of new feathers? Most birds are very wasteful and a lot of food ends up on the floor, but there should always be food left in the bowls at the end of the day.

What diet is Rico on? Fed a correct diet, a bird should not need supplements for moulting (and egg laying, which also has an increased energy requirement) unless advised by an avian vet. My birds have a seed mix as part of their diet and anything left at the end of the day is discarded as the bulk of it at that stage includes a lot of shells, husks, cases, etc with no nutritional value. This is particularly true of our budgies as they have a higher proportion of seed in their diet compared to our other birds.

What environment is Rico kept in and has it changed recently? Anything potentially there that could account for drowsiness - temperature, humidity, air quality, aromas, air fresheners, etc? Has the room/home been decorated recently?

Rico is still a baby and it is normal for youngsters to sleep more.. Have you spotted a sleep pattern? Birds are most active at the start and end of the day but it is usual for birds of all ages to power nap at various times of the day - babies even more so.

How is Rico's general demeanour and his relationship with other members of the home? He has not been with you long given his age. Could his sleepiness just be normal baby behaviour, along with showing that he is settling down and feeling happy enough in himself to thoroughly relax?
His diet consists of seed mix, Tops pellets and veggies. Yes I have recently moved his cage to a designated bird room.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom