Mickey And Bobby Our Rosifrons And Blue-headed Pionus

Ararajuba

Those two are still looking very pretty. Any chance of embedding the pictures here, or can you only link them?

It's good to see them on such friendly terms too - I wouldn't really have expected it from such different birds! I find myself wondering whether our conures would get along with a pionus as well as yours does, as I was still thinking of getting one in the not-too-distant future (whenever we are not too busy with babies and other stuff). It would be nice if they could actually spend time out together (then they could also occupy each other, and I wouldn't have a bird constantly hanging out on me cheeping for more seeds, and getting fat instead of exercising and doing things, like she is supposed to when out). Vivi perhaps would, as she is more like your rosifrons. Dido, knowing her, might want to pick a fight, which might not end so well for her given her smaller size!

Michael Reynolds

its great to see them get on so well, my green cheek has its partner a parrolett but he has his friends, that are a red rump, port Lincoln, King Parrot, Port Stanley. one of the cockatiels, red winged and one of my superb parrots. together I call them the gang, they stick together in play and all sleep fairly close.

Reactions: rdc

rdc

Registered
Those two are still looking very pretty. Any chance of embedding the pictures here, or can you only link them?

It's good to see them on such friendly terms too - I wouldn't really have expected it from such different birds! I find myself wondering whether our conures would get along with a pionus as well as yours does, as I was still thinking of getting one in the not-too-distant future (whenever we are not too busy with babies and other stuff). It would be nice if they could actually spend time out together (then they could also occupy each other, and I wouldn't have a bird constantly hanging out on me cheeping for more seeds, and getting fat instead of exercising and doing things, like she is supposed to when out). Vivi perhaps would, as she is more like your rosifrons. Dido, knowing her, might want to pick a fight, which might not end so well for her given her smaller size!

I could embed the photos--but I prefer to link them because what you see is an image that most closely resembles what the camera has captured. Also, sometimes images will get washed out because of the constraints of a website. The website these images come from is designed for photogs and the modest yearly fees allow us to upload without those constraints. I'm a bit lazy, too.

Speaking of links, here is one from Lucy, our Festive, a species I believe you know from a local breeder:
https://pbase.com/image/169746587

Bobby, our BHP has a history of bonding with birds from other species -- a Black-cap Conure, a Nanday Conure and now a Roseifrons Conure. I could tell right away Bobby was drawn to Mickey, and fortunately Mickey enjoys the attention. Also they like to preen one another, and Bobby urps up food for Mickey. They both make great companions for each other. It's a win-win situation for sure.

I've noticed some conures will pick fights, sometimes with much larger birds. Bobby was socialized very well at the birdstore where the staff would let him fly around, and he would interact with customers.
I've heard of household where there are large animals like dogs, and sometimes a small parrot will become the alpha and the larger animal will submit to the bird's authority.

Hopefully you will be able to have a similar arrangement.

Top Bottom