Meet Ruby

We have had her 4 weeks now and still not sure if we made the right decision. Our beautiful CAG died last year after being part of our family for 26 years. The house hasn't been the same without a bird so we started to look for anew family member and my husband fell in love with Ruby after visiting her several times, I tried to tell him they have completely different needs to a CAG but as usual he didn't listen. 4 weeks on he is finding the noise and the biting (things not us!) difficult to deal with

That's a shame! Sorry about your CAG.must be hard after I many years together.  there will be plenty of friendly advice for you on here. Hopefully you will sort these things out with Ruby. 

I would be grateful for any advice from fellow RB2 owners as I really don't want to take her back, it's only been 4 weeks but she had already got her place in my heart

I am not one with any knowledge really. But may help others to give advice later. 

Does she fly? Do you supply plenty of fresh branches for her to chew? How old is she? What's her diet? Is she definately a female? How much out of cage time? When does she make noise mostly? 

I'm sure help is not far away! Good luck. She is a sweetheart. 

Hi Parsley and  :welcome: ...lets put out a shout to some of our members who have experience of owning Galah's either currently or in the past - they may have some hints to help you get your new feathered friend a bit more settled....also have you got on-going support from the breeder?

@Margy @plumsmum @Kerinsian

@pally

Also so if you take a look in our training section for pinned topics by Roz, you'll find some useful hints about how to reinforce positive behaviours

Hello and welcome to you and Ruby.

Please, please, please do not take Ruby back, things can be worked through if you have the will to get there.  My Plum can be a little beast some days (gosh did I say that LOL?).

They have an iron will and def need boundaries.  So please carry out positive reinforcement - reward the good, ignore the bad.  She is still young yes?  Still a baby then.

Give her plenty of toys to keep her occupied and as mentioned safe wood branches.  (Have we a list on here?)

My hol RB2 chews through toys at a rate of knots but mine hardly touches his.  If you keep her busy - foraging toys are great I'm sure she'll be less noisy.  What causes the noise, any ideas?  Can you describe where her cage is positioned also please? Hope this is a start ... chin up.

Hello and welcome to you and Ruby, she's absolutely gorgeous!  :)

Mine used to mainly make loud noise when flying around the room, it was excitement and usually stopped after a couple of minutes. She did have a very loud call in the mornings and evenings too, but again it only ever lasted for a couple of minutes thankfully. The rest of the time she was mostly quiet apart from talking and little cute noises when playing. As others have asked, when does she normally make the noise, and what kind of noise is it? Baby-bird wasn't too destructive in her chewing, but then she always had lots of things to chew on of her own, and was removed immediately (using step up) from anything I didn't want her chewing from day one. After a while it became a favorite game, she'd fly to the door and open beak ready to chew but not do it, she'd look at me and laugh. I'd have to go get her so she could do it again! I think the reason she wasn't destructive was the training from day one and the amount she had to chew on of her own, plus a lot of playtime which kept her mind engaged.

If she's very young and calling loudly persistently, then it might be Too baby calling behaviour that's become a bit too demanding. If so it can be trained away with positive reinforcement and ignoring unwanted noise. I know it's difficult as they can sure screech, but if you stick with it you'll have a bird which can be extremely loving and cuddly but also independent enough that it won't become a problem.  If she's a re-home and older than she looks in the picture, then it might just be spring riling her up, in which case she'll calm down of her own accord :)

I am so sorry that your Grey is now at rainbow bridge.  they do leave a massive gap in the family but you will find that cockatoos will become so close and love interaction but they are more demanding and well not a noisy as my GSC2.  Do you have neighbours close?  training is the answer and your bird is still young and has lots to learn.  I will say that buster has been brilliant he will call if I am on the phone or have visitors but he is quiet most of the time and just loves cardboard boxes

Oh yes, Cardboard boxes, Baby-bird adored them, if I ever wanted to distract her I'd give her a new box and all I heard for hours was the sound of quiet tearing and happy little chuckles   :laugh:

Thank you all so much for your help. To answer a few of your questions she is just over a year old and def a female we were told, her eyes are a greeny hazel. I have various fruit trees and she gets a new branch twice a week. She had a toy box full of toys in her cage as well as hanging toys, ropes etc and a toy box in the living room. Her cage is between a window overlooking the garden and the glass doors leading to our living room. She is out early every morning for an hour while I clean her cage she explores and has a fly around. She then goes back in until 3/4 pm when she comes out until 9 when she starts falling asleep on my knee

hi parsley,my buddy molly the supposed to be female galah is a cutie scrumptous fluffyball,but can have a powerful bite even though its only in play,molly will chew all day its molly favourite thing to do,be it toys wood material anything.

id rather molly chewed that turn her attention to chewing feathers so i give her/he plenty of stuff to get her beak into.

mine has the occaisional screech and mad ten minutes and i must say the first time she did it i almost had a heart attack ha!

stick with it she will settle,if not she can come and live with me ha !.welcome aboard the parrot club.

Hi thanks.  One thing I will suggest is starting a proper bedtime routine and that means she gets 12 hours rest/preening/sleeping time.
 Parrots deprived of enough rest can be problematic, so introduce a routine of play and then wind down and night night.  Plum goes 8-8 usually.

The eye colour of a female is usually more red than the male which has a very dark/black eye colour but this is not 100% foolproof.  If you have to have any blood taken by the AV at anytime why not slip in a DNA test to be sure?

BTW my holiday RB2 is much younger than Plum and loves undoing plaited anything at a rate of nots, have you tried Ruby with anything like this.

How old is she and can you explain her diet please?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see a clear picture of her eyes, that's a very unusual colour for a galah to have. I bet she looks stunning :)  

It might be worth trying to see if birds out the garden are setting her off, Bbird used to freak sometimes if she saw other birds get too close. She was such a little darling and no problem at all, but she was very territorial. 

Hello Parlsey and welcome to the forum, am so sorry for the loss of your CAG, flying high over the bridge with the flock causing mayhem no doubt. Excellent advice by peeps I think PLumsmum asked a key question there in where is the cage positioned, some birds adore being by a window and looking outside and others it actually stresses them out, if Chilli our Jenday is by a window he screams a lot, if a bird flies by, something moves suddenly anything freaks him out, as soon as cage moves away from window a different bird, when we brought Jim home our sennnie she screamed for 2 days it was only after moving her to a different position she stopped, it might not be the window with Jim it was that she was too close to one of the other birds but I would move her cage and see if it could e that she doesn't like being by the window. Many things can make them scream, could be something in the room they don't like, could be calling for their flock, the key is not to reinforce the behaviour in any way like has been said ignore bad reward good. :)  

Hi Parsley and welcome to the forum from me and my flock :)  

We have a wonderful lady on here by the name of Roz she has numerous post in the training section that will help you to get things under control :)  

@Roz if you have a moment Roz would you be so kind as to advise please  :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom