Male kak attacking the female

Paula8354

Registered
Hello, wondering if anyone can help. My female kakariki has just hurt her wing and now the male keeps trying to attack her. Why would this be? They usually get on really well and never attack each other so it's very strange. Thank you

Paula8354

Registered
Yes definitely. They are a loving couple usually. They don't fight. It's only since she hurt herself tonight that he's started trying to attack her. I don't understand why he's doing it.

Michael Reynolds

first of al I will separate them for now. can I ask how did she hurt her wing? will love to see photos of them. birds try to cover up injuries or illness, with some problems like a damaged wing they cannot do this. sick birds are an attraction for predators and many groups of birds are known to attack a weaker bird in a group. I am not saying this is the reason for the male attacking the female. Are they related? members of the same family of kaks are known to try to force the females away.

Lisabiff26

Registered
That what my parrot do, I have male and female. male attacked her so I have to selling male but female are now clam, happy and having a fun! I text male new owner see how he getting on, he change, clam, happy, and love people

Paula8354

Registered
It's my first time owning kakariki's. I just have the male and female. I've only had them since September and was told they were around 6 months old. I don't know if they are related, I had them from a pet shop and just couldn't leave without them. The female laid her first egg 5 days ago but it was broken, none since either. I don't encourage them to breed due to their age and I wouldn't know what to do to be honest. My little boy opened the cage while I was cooking my older sons tea and I had the ceiling fan on. I heard a noise and saw the bird fly on top of the cupboard. I immediately turned the fan off and rushed to see if she was ok. She can fly still but she's definitely hurt it. She's not bleeding. I'm hoping as she can still fly that it's not broken and just a bit bruised. I'm just confused as to why he's suddenly acting like that when they are usually loved up. He always feeds her and protects her and follows her everywhere. They come out the cage every day and come and go as they please unless I'm going out or doing tea or its bedtime etc. The green one is male and the yellow/green is female ( on my daughters shoulder)

Michael Reynolds

Ceiling fans are a nightmare, I once had to go urgently to Hastings to pick up a budgie injured by one and get it to the vets. I would recommend having a avian vet check her. laying of eggs is a problem that a lot of owners worry about egg laying. kaks can lay at a young age it dose not mean the eggs will be fertile. even without a partner they can lay up to eight eggs. I never move them and just wait for the bird to abandon them, if you remove them or even destroy the eggs I often makes the bird lay more often. during laying increase the calcium intake

Michael Reynolds

Kakariki's live in the fast lane, they have a very fast heart rate and mature early, the bad side of this is they also do not live too long, about eight years. being a very active bird they are also known as clown parrots.

Paula8354

Registered
She'll be going to the vet's to get checked out. It'll play on my mind otherwise. She laid the egg during the night, I found it when I came down on the morning but it was broken and the yolk had spilt out. They hadn't bothered with it all day so I took it out and cleaned up before I went to bed. She hasn't had any more since. I didn't know they were known as clown parrots. They definitely have fun personalities especially the male. The female is more laid back but the male is into absolutely everything. He's usually so caring to her. They eat really well too which is good. They have fresh fruit and veg daily and don't mind trying new things. As soon as I change their water they are in there having a bath in it so I have to change it again. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it

Paula8354

Registered
She's going to see the vet soon. She's been back in her cage for the last 2 hours and the male hasn't attacked her at all, he's been feeding her and seems back his usual self. He must of missed her last night. She's a little quiet but she's eating and drinking and seems ok so fingers crossed it will all be ok and she'll heal nicely. So far so good.

Paula8354

Registered
Hello, great news. The only damage Kiki has is a bruised ego. She's a very lucky bird and she'll be fine. The vet said the same thing you did Michael. Luckily the male (Kiwi) is back to his normal self and they are a loving couple again. Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.

Top Bottom