1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macaw Voice Change

Discussion in 'Health' started by chicoshuman, Mar 8, 2018.

1. chicoshuman

chicoshuman Regular Member

hey guys back with another health query!

In the early hours of the morning I woke to use the bathroom when I accidentally kicked one of rhaegars toys a rattle ball thing ( literally like having kids having a bird with toys everywhere! ) this spooked rhaegar pretty badly and he fell of his perch, he seemed pretty shocked I did check on him and he seemed okay I obsevered him returning to his perch where he sleeps.

This morning he seems okay however I have noticed as he is normally a very vocal macaw, that his voice seems to have changed, he often will call and scream pretty loud and points throughout the day to try and gain my attention however today his louder noises seem more deeper and croaky...

He still is saying his name in his normal manner and his little baby like noises it’s just the louder macaw “scream/calls” that are affect...

Generally he seems himself although a lot calmer... he’s normally a very busy active bird and although he still is exploring things as usual it’s in a lot calmer manner which I’m not used to. He also seems rather loving which again although we do have our cuddle times they are often fleeting because he’s extremely active. I can’t really tell about food as he’s been incredibly fussy of late and only seems to want “treat” foots like potato and pine nuts.

He’s currently on his play stand picking at toys just in a rather calm way.

Do you think it is just based on shock?

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Possibly, or a disturbed night. keep an eye on him, ensure he is eating something and drinking and poops are ok, and see how he is tomorrow. Have you checked as best you can that there are no physical injuries? If he doesn’t seem himself tomorrow, or other symptoms show, then best be getting a vet check, just to be safe. Do keep us posted.

@marley what do you think?

plumsmum and chicoshuman like this.
  3. chicoshuman

So shortly after this he has let out a “normal” “call” shall we say haha! Maybe he just needed some time to get going??

4. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

Please take him to an avian vet for a checkup.

It could be nothing but it might be something.
    One of my hahns macaws voices changed overnight. Turned out he had tracheaitus and needed antibiotics and nebulising daily.

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

:risas3: Well as I was typing I was thinking....bet he’ll be twice as loud tomorrow!

6. chicoshuman

Yeah I mean I kind of question everything at the moment as he’s only 8 months and is doing a lot of experimenting with his voice, he started to copy me whispering a few days ago so I was questioning it from the beginning.

I have of course checked him over as much as possible, surprisingly this morning he even let me open his beak with my hands and look in his mouth without a fuss (he’s so energetic normally I’d never get a chance to do that) and I couldn’t see anything. As I have said he is drinking and will eat but only wants pine nuts... however has no trouble with eating them...

He’s currently destroying the £200 java tree I bought last week and hanging upside down...

7. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Being He is like normal now it may be owing to the break in his sleep Macaws often pick a word and say it over and over but changing the way it is spoken sometimes its a low voice and then high pitched. say it fast and slow just the word Hello get so many variants. I would still keep an eye on him and if he carries on having unusual ways then it would be best to have him checked.

chicoshuman likes this.
  8. chicoshuman

Managed to get a clip of the new sound... he is doing it quite a bit now instead of his normal loud scream, although I have heard his normal scream since... I just question it because it’s very new and he seems to be making it when he wants me

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  9. chicoshuman

10. Michael Reynolds

he will be trying his voice more as he learns new sounds. well lets hope he keeps it this quiet its a lovely call

chicoshuman likes this.
  11. chicoshuman

Yes compared to what I’m used too it’s much nicer! Going to monitor him as the rest of his behaviour is quite normal... it wasn’t that long ago I took him to the vet and there was nothing wrong with him (the beginning of feb I think) but it was still around £70 just to walk in the door! Can’t be doing that every time I get worried lol

12. Michael Reynolds

You should of told you vet he is just a budgie in disguise it would have been CHEEPER. I know the feeling they see it a macaw and you look into your vets eyes and what do you see ££££££££ signs Ha Ha

chicoshuman likes this.
  13. chicoshuman

An update on Rhaegar - his voice still wasn’t better and I was still struggling to tell if he was improving or if he was just working around the change in his voice so he had a blood test today and hopefully we will get the results tomorrow. The vet did say on first inspection his breathing seemed okay however after the stress of being restrained to have the blood test done his breathing was a little more laboured than he would have liked to see and although this could be due to his fitness it was definitely worth getting checked out.

I was extremely worried about how he would fair being restrained for bloods and nail trimming as he’s never been towelled in his life so definitely not something he is used to. He’s a very boisterous macaw and not chilled at all so I was worried he would have trust issues with people after this encounter. He’s obviously very quiet however he is very loving towards me - it’s actually a little concerning as he’s never been this “chilled” obviously it’s a stress induced exhaustion but it is actually kind of hard to witness a bird so quiet and still when I’m used to him doing somersaults on my bed all day.

14. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

I hope the blood test comes back as all ok tomorrow.
    Mine are quiet after vets or anything else that stresses them out. The next day usually they are back to normal. Hopefully tomorrow he will be back to his normal self and does somersaults on your bed lol.
    I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

15. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Sorry to hear this lets hope the blood results give some answers - that's if there's any to be had.

16. chicoshuman

So I just spoke to my vet and he said he numbers were fine, his white blood cell count was in the higher end of normal but he wasn’t concerned although the pathologist is yet to make his comment on them my vet doesn’t seem to think he would have a different opinion.

I am still a little unsure as rhaegar’s voice is obviously still affected. My vet was mainly concerned about a fungal infection but following these results doesn’t seem to think that is an issue. He said to keep monitoring him to see how he goes and if he gets worse to take him back in? He recommended taking him into a steamed room twice a day to possibly help with potential throat issues?

Rhaegar is still being pretty fussy with foods, not eating much at all but will accept treats so that just generally really confuses me. Obviously he could still be feeling the effects of the stress from the vet visit but we shall see I guess... one thing I have been noticing is that he has been putting my hand or fingers in his mouth lately and head bobbing which I obverse as a want to feed from me like a baby (I didn’t have any experience in hand feeding so a little unsure) not really sure what I can do regarding the feeding.

Obviously I am still concerned and I guess I felt like I would have an answer from these tests as I can still tell there is something not quite right. I asked if it could be damage to his throat from the fall and what we could do to fix that issue but he said that there wouldn’t be anything they could do for an injury to the throat...

dianaT and JessCheekyMia like this.
  17. JessCheekyMia

Awww bless him. How old is Rhaegar? With feeding you could try his fruit and veg pureed because if his throat area is hurting that might be a easy way of getting his vitamins inside him without to much discomfort. I have used the organix baby pureed fruit pots. Give it to him by spoon or syring but when using a syring go slowly so he doesn't choke.
    Make sure he has some solid foods as well but the pureed fruit might help him get some goodness into him.
    I really hope he gets to his normal self soon.

chicoshuman and dianaT like this.
  18. chicoshuman

Going to try the baby food idea tomorrow! He’s been extremely quiet all day I’m used to him screaming at some point during the day when I’m not with him for attention :(

19. JessCheekyMia

I use these and they do different fruits. It is also 100% organic fruit too.
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/g...le-strawberry---apple-peach-fruit-pots-4x100g
    You done the right thing and took him to his vet. Sending you a hug (I know how you feel).

chicoshuman likes this.
  20. JessCheekyMia

Also you can puree your own fruit and veg as well.

chicoshuman likes this.