Lovebird obsessed with my fingernails?

Froggin

Registered
Hi. A bit of background for you all, I’m very new to bird ownership and came into possession of a lovebird around a month ago. We named him Romeo. I primarily take care of him but still live at home with my parents and siblings who also enjoy spending time with him. My Mum found Romeo when out for a walk in the town and knew that he obviously wasn’t wild so took him home. We’ve looked up his tag number and posted pictures of him on social media trying to find his original owner with no luck and with lockdown now having been in affect for a few weeks now, he’s pretty much ours.

He’s a very lovely bird, very friendly from right off the bat. Wants to be involved in whatever you’re doing and just generally loves people. He’s settled very quickly into a routine and I give him plenty of time outside his cage throughout the day. However the last two days his behaviour has changed. He still wants to be with you but he has become obsessed with trying to bite my fingernails. I keep my nails quite short and he’s at risk of really hurting me if he manages to crack them. So I’ve tried redirecting this behaviour, encouraging him to play and chew toys which he would, until he saw my fingers and he’d go back to trying to chew my fingernails. So I tried hiding my fingers, and he started trying to chew my lips. So I hid my lips and he started nibbling at my chin and neck. Today I managed to calm him down by playing some lovebird noises on my phone and letting him hang about while I did my morning routine, which worked for a short while, but then he was back to chewing my fingernails, although not as obsessively as before.

Is there anyway I can encourage him to stop this behaviour? Does he need more toys? Does he need a companion? Do I need to change my behaviour with him to give him more attention? I have tried doing some online research but am coming up empty handed. He’s not even interested in skritches or kisses at the moment, and he loves them usually! I managed to get him chilled out enough to give him some neck skritches this morning but he quickly got bored and went back to biting my nails. I’m just not sure if he’ll stop this on his own or it’s something else? Any advice people have would be great!

Michael Reynolds

I am pleased you are giving him a great home, I just fill so sad for his original owners, as you can tell these little flying bundles of mischief can take over our hearts very quickly. I do not know what it is with male lovebirds they do seam to like the texture of our nails

Froggin

Registered
I am pleased you are giving him a great home, I just fill so sad for his original owners, as you can tell these little flying bundles of mischief can take over our hearts very quickly. I do not know what it is with male lovebirds they do seam to like the texture of our nails
Yes I feel for the original owner and if I can ever find them it would be great for both them and Romeo.

He’s always seemed to like my fingers and hands (when they’re not in the way of whatever he’s trying to climb all over of course) but I can imagine they might like nails in particular because they may have a similar texture to seeds maybe?

Top Bottom