1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For Senegal Breeders In Scotland

Discussion in 'Parrot Breeders' started by urborg84, Nov 9, 2017.

1. urborg84

urborg84 Registered

Hello everyone!

I am looking for a breeder of Senegal parrots in Scotland, I have looked on the internet but there seem to be none. I am very interested in buying one and I would prefer to go visit a nice breeder to have a look at his animals before purchasing one. Also I am new to this forum and certainly not an expert on parrots, even if I did my research before deciding to buy one, so any advice or suggestion is more than welcome.

Thank you

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: Good for you looking for Senegal. I have 3 and did breed them many years ago.
    Have you thought about joining the Parrot Society they have members UK wide and you can join on-line, for a yearly fee receive their monthly magazine where breeders advertise. Nigel lives in Scotland and has Senegals I wonder whether he can advise @Nigalius

Nigalius likes this.
  3. urborg84

urborg84 Registered

Thanks for the prompt answer! I was hoping to get in touch with a breeder to go visit to have a look in person at the birdies. I used to have my own pet shop in Italy and now that I live in Edinburgh I am looking for a Senegal as a pet for life. How can I get in touch with Nigalius? I thought about joining the parrot society but I always prefer to have a direct relationship with the people with whom I share my interests with and joining a club just to get a magazine didn't seem fair to me being completely honest.

4. dianaT

Ah well the Parrot Society do have clubs that meet around the country and I believe there is one in Scotland that meet regularly. so you would get to know other parrot keepers that way, it is a good way to start. The also hold shows which are usually in Stafford and if you can get there are worth attending. Dates will be on their website and in their magazine.
    I tagged Nigel in to the last post and he will pick it up probably tomorrow when he's on-line.

5. Parrot797

Parrot797 Regular Member

I find your reply to be astounding!The Parrot Society allows you to contact people directly by PHONE so you can speak to them,how much more direct can you get?

6. urborg84

urborg84 Registered

Good news thank you! I will definitely sign up with Parrot Society then. Do you guys attend regularly these shows and events?

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

:welcome: urborg! Going to shows is a good place to meet like minded people and breeders... and see the birds! :) I am guessing breeding season is probably over right now, which is why you haven't been able to find any? Someone else will be able to advise.

8. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Hi, I am sorry that I dont think I can help you with breeders here. I have 2 Senegals and not much room for anything else, perhaps one only so consequently have not been looking around for breeders. I will keep my eyes open for you though and will let you know if anything pops up.

9. urborg84

urborg84 Registered

thank you so much guys. Glad to have found such a lovely community! :budgie:

dianaT likes this.
  10. dianaT

Some members do get to the P.S. Shows and in the past have been known to meet up, so there is always that possibility. But I expect you will form your own more regional parroty friends if you join the P.S. and go to their local meetings.

Even though we all live miles apart we do keep in touch via this forum and always willing to help with an queries etc.
    Do let us know how things go won't you. And as I said any queries/questions ask away.

11. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi and :welcome:to the forum and to the UK.

You might try and contact Hand Reared Parrots who are based in Aberdeenshire - they are the people that do the Babes in the Hood outfits.....I don't know if they have Senegals, but it's worth a call and if they don't they may know of someone who does.
    http://www.handrearedparrots.co.uk/index.html

12. urborg84

urborg84 Registered

13. dianaT

Well it is now 2 months since that ad so the bird may well now be sold.
    You can only go & see and then make a decision.

14. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Was that pic not added in 2012? But it's a contact - I'd ring the breeder since there is a phone number and ask if he still breeds Senegals, and if not if he knows of anyone else. :)