Looking For Good Home For Crimson Bellied Conure Pair

kana245

Registered
I've posted on and off recently about my two crimson bellied conures, Frank and Doris. I didn't have any experience with conures or larger parrots when I got them a year ago, and it has very unfortunately turned out that I just don't feel I'm able to give them the best home they could have, through no fault of their own. I'm hoping one of the more experienced members here might be willing to rehome them. They are brilliant beautiful birds, but very vocal, which I haven't the skill with training to address. It's been causing a lot of friction with my family which has come to a head now. The noise doesn't actually particularly bother me myself, so I imagine anyone experienced with parrots wouldn't find so much of an issue even if it weren't resolvable, but I just want to make sure it won't be an issue in their new home either. They aren't very cuddly birds although very tame, and are very beaky and bitey so might not be a good fit in general for a home with non-parrot people family members?

They are a brother-sister pair (about a year and 4 months old), so obviously I would like to be sure they wouldn't be bred either, but they are bonded so I want them to stay together. They haven't ever been around other birds so.i don't know how they would get along, but are very boisterous with each so I would be careful with them around smaller birds.

I think they would be happiest in a home with a lot of out of cage time, especially in the evenings when they are very active and excitable. They are amazing flyers and absolutely gorgeous to watch exploring and doing acrobatic manoeuvres!

I am based in Norwich, Norfolk and unfortunately don't drive, but could hopefully arrange transport within a couple of hours radius. I wouldn't want any money for them, and they would come with their first cage which is an Amazona 2. They have had a bit of trouble with Frank plucking Doris in springtime passion so might need separate cages at least some of the time.

They are wonderful birds (while also being demanding little minxes of course!) and I wish I could make it work for us, but I just can't. I have fairly severe depression and to be honest have sometimes found it difficult to keep up with them without the external pressures, and I really don't want them to suffer because of it. I hope with them being so young they will settle into a new home and be much happier with someone who is more confident with them.

Does anyone think they might be able to help?

Screenshot_20190903-200551_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190610-224631_Gallery.jpg

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Stunning birds really sorry you have come to such a hard decision :(
Crying shame for you as know your really attached, could have perhaps had an outdoor aviary for during the daytime so the family wouldn't have been disturbed by the noise

kana245

Registered
could have perhaps had an outdoor aviary for during the daytime so the family wouldn't have been disturbed by the noise
It would be nice, but as they are audible from outside my house already and one neighbour has remarked on them already in a not exactly positive way, I think that would just end up with a net increase in the number of people bothered by the noise. And really, I don't want them to be screaming for hours on end because that's not the life I want them to have. When I first got them, both the breeder and I thought it was likely they would be so closely bonded they would be fairly indifferent to me and not stay very tame, but I didn't want a bored lonely screaming bird for much of the day at the cost of having a closer bond with him or her. Instead it feels like I've now got two bored lonely screaming birds, which is twice as bad. I think they would absolutely thrive in a busy household with lots of stimulation especially in the late afternoons and evenings. I adore them, even in their worst screamy bitey eat-the-curtain-poles destructive strops, but I think they could be much happier than they are.

Michael Reynolds

I am sorry you fill that you need to find them a new home, Noise is not a problem but having other conures can be, the green cheek and the sun conures do not get on well with the crimson bellied by my experience, so I think it would not be wise for me to offer a home. especially as my green cheek has a parrolett as a partner whom is very protective. they are lovely birds and so beautiful. is there any way of you keeping them, they will start to calm down in about a year.

plumsmum

Hi hun would you try and see if you can speak to your neighbour, invite them to come see the birds? Do you keep the windows mostly closed? Educate the family, explain that they help you. They are going through their equivalent of puppy time, they will get better, they are very young but very sweet. THe more you stress the more the situation will seem worse, out of perspective. You have given them a FAB-U-LOUS home btw, well done :)

kana245

Registered
I am sorry you fill that you need to find them a new home, Noise is not a problem but having other conures can be, the green cheek and the sun conures do not get on well with the crimson bellied by my experience, so I think it would not be wise for me to offer a home. especially as my green cheek has a parrolett as a partner whom is very protective. they are lovely birds and so beautiful. is there any way of you keeping them, they will start to calm down in about a year.
Hi Michael, thanks very much for considering it anyway, but yes might be a bit of shock for them meeting your lovely menagerie after just having had me for company! Frank is very possessive of Doris who is it must be said slightly less into him, so I could see there being problems potentially if he felt she was flirting too much with new handsome strange birds...

I would love to be able to give them all the time they need, but unfortunately I am not in control of all the variables.

kana245

Registered
Hi hun would you try and see if you can speak to your neighbour, invite them to come see the birds? Do you keep the windows mostly closed? Educate the family, explain that they help you. They are going through their equivalent of puppy time, they will get better, they are very young but very sweet. THe more you stress the more the situation will seem worse, out of perspective. You have given them a FAB-U-LOUS home btw, well done :)
It would be nice to be able to give them all the time in the world, but it's been difficult for the whole past year, I'm afraid, so I haven't any other options left at this point. I've always been rather unfortunately and now hypocritically judgemental about people who rehome pets, and I really wouldn't do it if there were viable alternatives and if I didn't really believe it might be good for them in the long run. When I got them my job was about to become less demanding so I thought I would be home much earlier for them, but instead became more demanding, and there's more upheaval on the way now. So I really don't want for example to get to the point where I feel like I really am neglecting them either.

Ararajuba

Sorry you don't feel able to look after them any more, and I hope they find a good home, or whatever solution is best for everyone. I would have considered taking them as we have space here and I'm relatively inured to dealing with these cute little devils and their various behaviours after having one for a few years, who is now mostly a well trained birdy (if still a pest). But sadly we are much too far away!

@Michael Reynolds - why do they have trouble getting on do you think? Is it by any chance that the crimson-bellies tend to be too boistrous/aggressive and pick fights? (This wouldn't surprise me!)

sunnyring

You have my sympathy. I had to rehome a beautiful pair of ring necks for same reason. they were driving my husband mad, and I have to admit they were relentless and it did not matter how much entertainment, enrichment they had . sometimes with the best will in the world the birds are not right for the home and it is better to rehome to where they natural exuberance will be enjoyed .

Michael Reynolds

I have found them picking on the sun conures but the green cheek will pick on them and in the present relation ship with my parrolett I can see one getting injured. its not a situation I wish to be in,

kana245

Registered
Sorry you don't feel able to look after them any more, and I hope they find a good home, or whatever solution is best for everyone. I would have considered taking them as we have space here and I'm relatively inured to dealing with these cute little devils and their various behaviours after having one for a few years, who is now mostly a well trained birdy (if still a pest). But sadly we are much too far away!

@Michael Reynolds - why do they have trouble getting on do you think? Is it by any chance that the crimson-bellies tend to be too boistrous/aggressive and pick fights? (This wouldn't surprise me!)
Thanks very much @Ararajuba and also thank you so much for all the advice you've given me recently, it really was hugely helpful even if things have turned out this way. But yes as amazing flyers as they are I think it might be a bit much to point them across the ocean at you!

kana245

Registered
You have my sympathy. I had to rehome a beautiful pair of ring necks for same reason. they were driving my husband mad, and I have to admit they were relentless and it did not matter how much entertainment, enrichment they had . sometimes with the best will in the world the birds are not right for the home and it is better to rehome to where they natural exuberance will be enjoyed .
That really helps to hear that even experienced parrot parents have these problems sometimes, thank you so much. It is just one of those unfortunate miracles of nature how such tiny lungs can hit such a volume!

kana245

Registered
Thanks very much for everyone's help - I'm afraid I ended up wasting everyone's time rather as Kendra very kindly agreed to take Frank and Doris but my parents had a last minute change of heart and we've agreed to try building them a little aviary in the garden ready for the spring. Fingers crossed they are happier and my neighbours and family end up happier too! Meanwhile I'll keep on trying with the training and perhaps something will click. Very happy to have a bit more time with them at least even if things don't work out in the long run.

Thanks again for the advice and offers of help, you are all lovely people :)

Think we are all rather worn out here after all this stress...
Sleepytime.jpg

Top Bottom