1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For A Good Home

Discussion in 'Rehoming' started by Nukawin, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Nukawin

Nukawin Registered

Hey everyone, I apologise in advance for skipping introductions, I didn't feel it was necessary as I am not sure I will become a permanent member of this club. The reason I have joined is I am desperately looking for a GOOD home, for my family's two parrots. I don't just want to list them on a buy/sell site because I am absolutely terrified of where they could end up, so, following suggestions from a close friend, I'm trying a forum dedicated to parrots.

I live in Northern Ireland, and my family own an Indian Ringneck (called Mika), and an African Grey Parrot (called Riko). These two have literally been in our family for over a decade, we got Mika when he was 5mths old (he is now 14 years old), and we got Riko when he was 19wks old (he is now 12 years old). The thought of rehoming them is killing me, but for several reasons I've come to realise it is the best choice for them.

Both were hand-raised, and both can speak. Mika is also an experienced flyer (he escaped us once many years ago, but a hail storm grounded him and we were able to catch him), but Riko has never had the chance to learn how to fly, so he isn't a good flyer (he will try but occasionally crashes). Since around 4-5 years ago, when we moved house, Riko has started pulling his feathers. He is not completely bald, but he is patchy, and only seems to target certain parts of his body.

I have Aspergers Syndrome, Hypermobility Syndrome, Generalised Anxiety and clinical Depression. Both my mental and physical health is on the decline, and in addition to that, I live with my parents (who both also have health complications on the decline). Ultimately, I don't think we can give Mika and Riko the home they deserve anymore. I want them to go to a good home where they can get all the love, attention, and time out of their cages that they deserve.

I am offering Mika up for free, under the strict conditions that he is going to a GOOD home. I will be asking to do home checks because I don't want him to just land with someone who won't give him the love/time he deserves.
    Riko belongs to my mother (she has authorised the rehoming), so I think she will be charging for him. I am not sure. Home checks will be applied to him too.

Honestly I never thought I would have to do this to them, but they are both unhappy with their living conditions and lack of attention, and I want them to be happy. This is the only way to give them a chance at a new, better life.

Below are pictures of Riko (the African Grey Parrot) and Mika (the Indian Ringneck).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: I am sorry you have had to join us at such a sad time, it is terrible having to make such a decision.
    Your family has two beautiful birds. Members may like to know whether they are used to each other and therefore a home together would be more suited?
    I am unsure what members we have in Northern Ireland, but I am sure our members will be along on here at some stage especially if they can offer help.

3. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Hi and welcome. :welcome:. Sorry that you are finding yourself having to rehome Mika and Riko. I have put our feelers for some info re a good charity in N I that you could approach. Good charities vet all prospective applicants and they have a homecheck btw. Going down this route would mean they would have to be given up with a fee.

4. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Well that didn't come up with anything useful I am afraid. You could make enquiries of your avian vet and see if they have contacts that would help you.

5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome, I wish this was in better circumstance's, I wish there was a way for you to be able to keep these wonderful birds. I will say this must be so hard for you and I do worry if letting them both go will make you more depressed and have other affects on your life, I do hope you can find a more local home and one that will allow you to see them. I do wish you will find a good home for them and my thoughts are with you and your parents/

6. Nukawin

Nukawin Registered

Thank you all for your feedback. I will likely become sad at their absence, but as long as they have gone to a good home, this will be a good antidepressant for me because I will know they are happier than they are here. I just want them to be happy.
    Hello, in regards to your comment about them being used to each other. It's a yes and no. Yes, they're familiar with each other, but no, they don't get along, so I don't think they would mind going to different homes. Mika has tried in the past to approach Riko, but Riko has quickly got defensive and chased him away.

dianaT likes this.
  7. Michael Reynolds

Wow Mika looks so stunning, I have such a soft spot for the Ringneck parakeets, its just a shame I am to far away to help, I have five greys and four ringnecks and I can understand just how much they both can impact our lives. Regarding Riko, Grey's are now protected species and need to be registered with DEFRA before they can be sold and the paperwork for CITES one birds need to be passed on to the new owner when it is purchased, even if the bird is gifted there is a form that need to be filled in to say no monies have been exchanged and the bird is being gifted available from the DEFRA site. plese keep us up to date .

8. Nukawin

Nukawin Registered

This is very interesting information. I'm quite familiar with DEFRA as I dabbled in Taxidermy in the past (and imported/exported taxidermied goods), but this is definitely new to me! I will have to inform my mother about this and then make a few phone calls. Thank you for letting me know!

9. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

Ah a fellow Zebra! I too unfortunately know the pain of Hypermobility syndrome among others.

It's such a shame that you're having to rehome your little ones but if it's in their best interest then you are doing the right thing. Hopefully someone on here will be able to offer them a home or know of one available. That way should you choose you may be able to keep in touch and get updates on them.

I don't think I saw it mentioned but would they come with their cages and any toys etc they are familiar with?

Unfortunately you are too far away for me to help but I hope you find the right homes for your little ones.

TomsMum and Michael Reynolds like this.
  10. Michael Reynolds

The African Grey's have been made Article 10 CITES one Birds for a while now owing to the amount illegally trapped for the pet trade had put there numbers in serious decline. I will say I was pleased that the Grey parrot was added to the list and I just hope it will help them recover in the wild.

11. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi @Nukawin and :welcome: to the forum, I wish it were under better circumstances, and hope that your health improves.

Here is a link to the government website area
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cites-imports-and-exports
    Explaining what is needed to comply with CITES 1 under which the Sfrican Grey parrots are listed.
    To sell a bird or engage in commercial activities, the bird must be registered and have an Article 10 certificate.
    If given as a gift or on long term loan, then there is a particular form to complete.

12. Nukawin

Nukawin Registered

I apologise for the lateness in responses.

Ah, yeah I forgot to mention these. Yes, both come with their own cages (though I do admit I feel they could do with newer cages), and Riko has some toys. Mika is, oddly, pretty freaked out at new things in his cage, so he doesn't have any new toys. Every time I try to give him a new toy he panics.
    Also... I've never heard of HMS affected being referred to as a Zebra. Thats interesting, though I would like to know why. :O

Thank you both for the information and the link. I will start proceedings as soon as I can.

13. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

There's a saying that when Drs are trained they are taught "if you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras". So baaically think of the most obvious cause. Obviously with HMS and EDS they need to think zebra as it's not a very well known condition. A lot of people with 'rare' conditions are known as zebras :)

14. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My granddaughter has EDS, it took years before she was diagnosed and kept being fobbed off with various other condition.
    She was training to become an Osteopath but had to leave due to the condition - those of you with this will understand.

CaptainHowdy likes this.