Lone chicken

After starting with 10 hens at the beginning of the year, yesterday we had to get our 9th one euthanized due to tumours. We had 2 seemingly robust girls left, so we thought we'd call it a day on rescuing more for a while, and just have the 2. Now Pink is on her own and as they're social flock birds, we're left with a dilemma! To rehome her as a lone chicken would be difficult as she could be badly bullied, but to rescue more to keep her company would mean starting again when we wanted a break. Especially as there's a possibility that she may succumb to the awful tumours that have taken all her flock mates anyway. (They all came from the same factory). And we'll have already committed to more chooks! There's another collection mid December and we're struggling with whether to see how she gets on alone or just go for it and get more. Anyone here ever had a single hen successfully? Plus, I'm worried about her being too cold on her own in the coop.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

CaptainHowdy

After starting with 10 hens at the beginning of the year, yesterday we had to get our 9th one euthanized due to tumours. We had 2 seemingly robust girls left, so we thought we'd call it a day on rescuing more for a while, and just have the 2. Now Pink is on her own and as they're social flock birds, we're left with a dilemma! To rehome her as a lone chicken would be difficult as she could be badly bullied, but to rescue more to keep her company would mean starting again when we wanted a break. Especially as there's a possibility that she may succumb to the awful tumours that have taken all her flock mates anyway. (They all came from the same factory). And we'll have already committed to more chooks! There's another collection mid December and we're struggling with whether to see how she gets on alone or just go for it and get more. Anyone here ever had a single hen successfully? Plus, I'm worried about her being too cold on her own in the coop.

I have known people keep lone hens but they have always ended up as house chickens to be honest. If it were me I'd get some more. But then I do have 10 myself ;)

We actually did toy with idea of her becoming a house chicken, and getting her a nappy suit to wear. However, after living outdoors she's got a few inevitable feather mites from wild birds which we keep on top of and they don't cause an issue. We would get her 100% free of these to live indoors, but then she would ideally need to be outside in the day time to forage round whilst we're at work, putting her at risk of more. She'd forever be in the bath so there was no chance of the parrots getting them [emoji37][emoji23]

Kendra

I used to keep 6 hens, gradually over the years the numbers wore down to 1. They had stopped laying long before but felt they owed us nothing and we did not sell the eggs, they rooted around the garden as did the final one, even when on her own, to be honest she never seemed bothered but I do not think she went a winter without company. In the end she was captured by something, I found a pile of feathers, very sad not knowing but I did not get anymore. Strange things is I could not eat any of their eggs, not sure why but I just could not.

Top Bottom