Linnie with bare bottom

caza66

One of my green linnies, GeeGee, has lost the feathers of his/her bottom. Last year this happened and I took him/her to an avian vet. he had a very wet bottom and the feathers just disappeared. I thought it was a male originally but the vet seemed to think that this was a hen as her bottom seemed big! ie ready for brooding and thought that this extra weight was pushing on her insides and making her poos wet. He gave her a hormone injection to stop her being in breeding mode. It didn’t seem to make a difference and we came to the conclusion that this bird just had wet poos. He did other tests, no parasite etc.

over winter the poos seemed to solidify and the feathers grew back and I thought great, it was a one off thing. This morning I noticed the feathers are missing again, and GeeGee was fine a couple of days ago. He/she is currently in a cage inside and the newspaper on the bottom of the cage is very wet and smells of ammonia, not very strong but it’s there. It must be the acidity that is causing the loss of feathers.

anybody heard of this before?

Oh dear no I've not heard of this before, also have never kept Linnies either. Has her food changed at all?
@DizzyBlue ...anyone please any ideas. ??

I know Linnies do poop a lot and often in large quantity, maybe it is to do with hormones.

I would think breeding mode.
Hate to say it but can we have a poop photo please?

Update on this linnie she has been back to the vet a couple of times and the conclusion is she is incontinent. Just watching her now and clear liquid is just dripping out of her. She is back inside in the warm and in herself, she is ok, better now indoor. She eats fine and is drinking a lot. Her water pot is mostly empty next morning.

my question is really whether to let her continue her life with this condition or not. Does anyone have any views?

Bless would think they have tried all avenues then :confused: it's never easy seeing those we love being poorly.

Massive hugs to you @caza66 indeed the right thing but it's still hurts like hell to make that decision. :besos:
Fly high and free little one the wonders of rainbow 🌈 bridge awaits x

I'm so sorry this must have been an awful decision, sending hugs. Fly high and free little one. :rainbow:

Back
Top Bottom