Letting My Baby Out Of Cage

Rockerman 65

Hi all iv have had ringneck ( Rico ) a week now. And would like let him out his cage for a fly around. Do you think after a week it's to soon. I plan on opening the cage door so he can decide to come out or not. Any advice will be appreciated

What is Rico like when you put his food bowl in his cage? Is he hungry? Does he go straight there and eat? If not, how can you make the food bowl more reinforcing? With mine I take all food out of the cage for the night (nobirdie eats at night in the wild) to make sure they are all hungry for breakfast. With Ollie who wasn't tame when he first came to me, I got him into a routine with food (he knew when to expect the food bowls), then I opened the door about an hour before breakfast when I knew he was hungriest. By the time I slotted the bowl in (making a great show of it), he flew back himself to eat. I didn't have to touch him. I only shut the cage door when he had a bite of food in his mouth, thereby pairing the closing door with a good experience. Ollie was so responsive, I could even let him out before work.

I don't know if a week is long enough. You need to work that out for yourself with how responsive Rico is to his food bowl.

With Ollie I gradually let him out for more and more hours.

letting out time is personal judgement call. things you should be aware of.. no hot drinks in room- they have an amazing ability to crash land into those. cover mirrors, pull curtains shut and light room well. have a good book and a long cool drink for yourself as it may be quite a long time until he goes back in and for same reason do not let out when you need to go out shortly! first time cage is opened he might not come out - just go to doorway and look- do not encourage or push out- needs to be his own choice. good luck!
ps anyone with other pets- those pets must not be in the room when this is going on

Providing he knows that his food and water is in his cage only then you can release him when you have the time not to worry how long it takes him to return. never try to chase him keep windows and doors closed cover windows and mirrors . you do not want to have to chase him and he will go back in when he gets hungry or thirsty.

Hi all just letting you know letting Rico comein out his cage today was a success. as you can see from pics he sat by the door for about an hour then had a quick fly around then sat on his cage for a couple. of hours He went back in when he wanted some dinner.

I am pleased all went to plan I hope you will be able to continue letting him out more often. I just love ringnecks but mine are free in my home and the way I love them to be.

Thank you all for your kind remarks. I'm a bit worried today as his not eaten. But yesterday when he went back in the cage he eat loads

Back
Top Bottom