1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leg Ring Identification Information

Discussion in 'Breeding And Babies' started by DizzyBlue, Feb 5, 2015.

1. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

There are two types of leg ring used basically (there is another one that is a split ring with a tiny screw but seldom seen in parrots). Some birds have been know to have two rings one for identification the other relating to if it was DNA sexed to show if its male or female. These days they usually stick to one ring and record all details relating to that specific bird sexing, disease testing, parentage etc, insurance, vet records to that specific ring number, gathering information from all the different places though if the bird has been sold on a few times is usually a bit of a nightmare.
    The first is Close Rung (or closed ring) this ring is slipped over the baby birds foot at a very young age and should be the correct sizing for the specific species. The ring is as it is stated a closed ring without any break in it. Birds are close rung before they are 21 days old before the leg bones and feet bones are “set” before this stage they are still flexible and pliable enough to have the ring slipped on professionally. The information on the ring can have many different formats from a specific breeder chosen initials, a year of breeding, a specific chick logged number, or a registered aviary breeding number. If the bird is Cites listed (ie rare classification) it should have a ring on its leg that matches its paperwork and if there is no ring it should be micro-chipped – legally a cites bird that is not registered CANNOT be sold only gifted nor can it be used for breeding purposes nor used for any monetary gain such as showing etc.
    Right back to leg rings. The easiest ones to read and get information from are the ones with PSUK on them these are Parrot Society registered breeders birds. This ring is on for life usually unless removed by a vet for health reasons.
    The split ring is as it describes a ring that is incomplete and can be attached to the leg at any stage in the birds life, and removed (as well as damaged) more easily. It too can contain all of the above information as in the closed ring.
    PSUK rings can usually by identified by the lettering PSUK, they also have the leg ring size on them for the specific species. The usually include the year the chick was hatched and it’s own specific number relating to records for only that chick ie who its parents were etc, the next bit of information is usually either the breeders initials or their aviary breeding name initials / number. Some breeders though like to have their own specific codings / information even on the PSUK rings.
    Leg rings can be silver in colour or as preferred by a lot of breeders it would seem they use a year colouring so you can tell at a distance the year that bird was hatched hence its age.
    You can contact the Parrot Society and request if they would be so kind as to let you have contact information with the original breeder, although if a bird has been sold on multiple times the information he / she has will be limited just the information of when it was originally sold, who too etc. BUT if you find a bird it’s a great way to start to find out about finding the rightful owner of the bird to repatriate them.

The colourings for the PSUK leg rings year wise are as follow:-
    1990 Light Blue

1991 Green
    1992 Pink
    1993 Yellow
    1994 Red
    1995 Dark Blue
    1996 Orange/Green
    1997 Violet
    1998 Green
    1999 Light Blue
    2000 Yellow
    2001 Dark Blue
    2002 Red
    2003 Violet
    2004 Orange
    2005 Green
    2006 Red
    2007 Black
    2008 Dark Blue
    2009 Violet
    2010 Gold
    2011 Blue

2012 Red
    2013 Black
    2014 Lime Green
    2015 Violet
    2016 Orange
    2017 Dark Blue
    I am sure other members will tag extra information on to this topic such as imported birds if they can.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Tasha524, johnk and Bob like this.
  2. Nikki h

Nikki h Mother Hen Regular Member

Thought I would add to this as here is an andrew greenwood sexing ring which you might find on a bird....these are black for males s and gold for female....this fellas colour from the outside is now gone but you can see the inside is black! image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    Shirley and DizzyBlue like this.
  3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Some breeders will put the ring of a male on one leg or a female on the other.

4. Nikki h

Yes but if closed rung would be very difficult to know sex early enough......split rings are put often put on specific legs to identify sex

Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  5. Nikki h

Without checking my avairy birds im certain hens are left lol x

6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I was always tought that if you have plenty of hens left then its all right for the boys Nikki

Lou and Nikki h like this.
  7. Lou

Lou Regular Member

that made me chuckle!

8. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:biggrin: :biggrin:  made me smile that did Michael!

9. Nikki h

Tasch have added some pics to this hun your welcome to use them in your docs if you would like to! X

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    DizzyBlue likes this.
  10. DizzyBlue

Thanks Nikki much appreciated :thumbsup:   xxx

Nikki h likes this.
  11. Nikki h

Here is another style of split ring which is more common on breeding birds being surgically sexed at some point in their life image.jpg

12. DizzyBlue

Just updated the main thread to include 2016 leg ring colour information

dianaT likes this.
  13. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

I had some rings made up for my adult cockatiels and most of my budgies that have my postcode on so if i have a disaster and mass aviary escape I have a little more chance of them being brought back home

14. CrimsonPeak

CrimsonPeak Registered

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, i've literally just purchased my parrot a week ago.  I've noticed a ring on the birds right leg and its a closed ring.  The breeder tells me that the bird is 3 months old.  I'm a little bit dubious as the bird is quite large to what I would have expected for that age.  The reason I am also dubious is the image which I seen of the bird (before going to view/ purchase) had the ring on the other leg (I'm assuming that it was the birds sibling in the photo I seen) compared to the parrot I have bought.  The ring is silver metal and has 15 stamped on it.  Does the 15 on the ring mean that the bird was definitely born 2015?  I'm yet to be able to take a closer look at the ring because the birds size has me a little thrown.  My other family members have parrots which I have been brought up with and they are approx 20 years old, and for the baby I have just bought to be nearing the size of them makes me wonder: 

A) what has the breeder been feeding him/ her on

and

B) have I been done out of money.

I think i'm just looking too much in to this (having never purchased a bird before) and that everything the breeder showed me and told me is legit, however you can't trust nobody these days. Any advice on ring numbers would be highly appreciated.

15. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi :welcome: from me and my flock. 

Firstly lots of questions which may help up to answer yours.

What type of parrot do you have and can we have a photo.

Where did you buy the bird from/see it advertised and did you visit it before you bought it.

What type of cage do you have and what is it being fed.

Usually a ring with 15 on would indicate a bird of that year, although it  is not necessarily guaranteed.

Do let us know.

16. DizzyBlue

And a further edit to the list .... Just found out that the British Bird Council are issuing their another set of colouration marked rings besides their own brown rings .....
    the standard British Bird Council Rings will be marked BCC and the new rings that they will be issuing are COM rings (Confederation Ornithogique Mondiale)
    According to their website BBC COM rings are only issued to members, they are marked BC, followed by a registered ID code, year date, size code and issue number.

2016 - Orange
    2017 - Dark Blue
    2018 - Red
    2019 - Black
    2020 - Light Green
    2021 - Violet