Learning To Be Apart

greencheeks

Hey guys,

I need some training or bonding tips for my birds.

They are a pair of 5 year old bonded green cheek conures, they were originally hand raised but have been abandoned in a garden for a year.

The female cannot fly due to wing damage but the male is normal.

They are aggressive when together and will bite and attack, when separated even by a few feet they will scream and ignore everything until they are placed back together.

Is there any way i can get them used to being apart and bond with them separately?

All attempts at normal training have thus far failed as when separated they refused all food, but will step up and when together they do nothing but attack.

any suggestions appreciated!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

What a fascinating story. I can not personally be of any help but I am sure the wonderful experienced members will be able to advise soon!

Bless them, I don't see that making them live apart after five years will be good for them, even though they're in the same room.  It is not easy to train small birds after a long time of not being handled, they revert back to a more wild state.

Maybe sitting by them and talking or reading to them for periods of time will get them used to you, and then feeding them their favourite treats. 

I have a senegal who's partner was taken from him cos they made too much noise, he now snuggles up to a mirror and tucks it between the bars in different parts of his cage.  He will never be hand tame..  He just longs for birdie company and has made friends with Herbi Timneh.  The other little Sennie is human imprinted and doesn't want to know poor Benji, just wants to be snuggled all the time, wonderful for me but sad for him. 

Sorry, going off tack here, I'm sure others will be far more helpful.?

Sue

Your birdies sound wonderful, what are their names?

Sue

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless them, I don't see that making them live apart after five years will be good for them, even though they're in the same room.  It is not easy to train small birds after a long time of not being handled, they revert back to a more wild state.

Maybe sitting by them and talking or reading to them for periods of time will get them used to you, and then feeding them their favourite treats. 

I have a senegal who's partner was taken from him cos they made too much noise, he now snuggles up to a mirror and tucks it between the bars in different parts of his cage.  He will never be hand tame..  He just longs for birdie company and has made friends with Herbi Timneh.  The other little Sennie is human imprinted and doesn't want to know poor Benji, just wants to be snuggled all the time, wonderful for me but sad for him. 

Sorry, going off tack here, I'm sure others will be far more helpful.?

Sue

Your birdies sound wonderful, what are their names?

Sue
oh god poor benji thats so sad poor thing!! :(

They are ok to be handled when apart so they aren't that wild which makes me think they can learn to like humans again.

At the moment we are trying having them out apart by having one on each person within in sight distance of each other and giving them things todo and eat they still refuse to eat when separated :/

they are also happy to sit with people if they are together and will preen etc.

confusing birds!

I think slowly does it and lots of patience needed after all you have to undo 5 years worth! although if they are happy being out together where they can keep an eye on each other that is a start.  Perhaps that's the way to go, do this more daily but still let them remain together and share a cage?  For them - the best of both worlds in a way :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
They have bonded with each other and yes the male will protect the female.  It can take time for them to accept you and learn to trust you but you do need patients and a little understanding.  Conures are doing what comes naturally and being very fearless birds they will try to bite.  It can be quite disheartening not being able to get near them with out being attacked but I would Keep them together in a place that they see you and that you are close to them most of the time.  try to feed them  they should in time trust you to a point they will not attack and may get even closer and even sit on you at times.  I would not separate them at all  as this would turn them against you and lose their trust.  They are more wild now but their nature is being inquisitive and this alone can help as they get to trust you motr.    

You sound as if you're already doing really well, and know what you're doing.  Everything you are doing is right, having them both out together is great, and the fact that they like spending time with you is fantastic.  Time, patience and unconditional love I think is all that's needed as the little ones get used to a new life of comfort and care.  They sound positively adorable, not so their previous owners.

Sue

you do sound like you are doing well and great advice givem, I wouldn't separate them :)

I think you are doing great and its lovely they are so bonded to each other, I wouldn't even try to keep them apart, will just stress them, let them go at their own pace and in time they may get more adventurous on their own   :thumbsup:

They seem to have both gotten more aggressive in the last few days despite me spending more time with them ><

The male will no try and attack me if i walk past and neither of them want to step up, i'm at a loss.

you may find that it is getting close to breeding time the male can get very protective and like young humans it a way of showing the female that he will look after her.  it is still early days for them and they still have not learnt to trust you,  You have to be patient and remember that they have been neglected by humans before so it will take some time but it will be worth it.  My Pineapples took just over a year to accept me and the female is still a little shy after a few years.

It was def breeding season as i caught them mating :p

They are getting better, i am going to try clicker training them next.

Back
Top Bottom