1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping Different Sexes Together

Discussion in 'Breeding And Babies' started by Angela Cook, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Angela Cook

Angela Cook Regular Member

Not been on here in a while but my OW Amazon Female Eden is now about 15 months old and we are thinking of adding to our feathered flock. We have been offered a young male DYH amazon but never having had more than a single bird previously & not intending to breed need to know what we need to consider when keeping opposite sexes together (in seperate cages but will hopefully spend 'out' time together)?

2. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

There are many things to consider the biggest being that even though we wish to have them out together that this doesn't always work out, those that we choose as being able in our minds to be good companions … well our idea of friends and theirs seems to be a tad different! Then again I could be totally wrong and it could be ok.
    My three African grey girls come out together and get along depending on how they happen to be that day some times if somebody comes out grumpy it can be just one of those things. My amazon boys each come out separately. MrP I would not trust around another bird at all EVER he is big and powerful and has zero respect and seems to be in perpetual grumpy attack mode. A DYH bite that is actually meant rather than a nip can do a hell of a lot of damage. Alfie the BFA I bring out by himself as the two ammie boys would probably kill each other especially at mating time, but as Alfie is blind on one side the grey girls zipping around the room if they came up unexpected on his blind side as he doesn't always think before he decides he needs to defend himself would be unfair on him and them. He too is a very powerful bird even though for me he is a sweet soul.
    If you take on another bird just be prepared that sometimes things don't always go to our plan and you may have to do separate out times to be fair to both of them.

Angela Cook likes this.
  3. Angela Cook

It wouldn't be a problem different times out but my main concern would be which sex might be better this boy is about the same age is that preferable? I don't want to breed so would it be unfair to have one of each sex?

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

4. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

If they are both hand reared shouldn't be a problem about breeding it's rare that hand rears choose to actually breed and usually they don't seem to have a clue about rearing either. If they are parent reared and then human tamed then you could end up with a breeding issue. Likelihood is they are both hand reared and although could become a bonded pair would not become a breeding / proven pair. The bonded pair can be two females or two males or indeed one of each sex, bonding is being basically best of buddies and choosing to be together and preen each other and never wishing to be parted from the other. If they do get parted when they are bonded pair then it can be very very detrimental to both birds. That's if they decide they actually want to be friends or if indeed they decide they don't mind the other one of them sitting on their favourite human. I have had a few bites in my time when one bird has taken exception to another sitting on me and so I got duly told off.
    There was a pair of bonded male vultures the other year that had to be put back together in a zoo (in Amsterdam) Ok these two vultures were not hand reared birds but they were bonded to one another. Anyway the chick these two bonded male vultures reared has been released into the wild. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43786685

Angela Cook likes this.
  5. Angela Cook

Eden is handreared and I'm pretty certain the other was too as he is hand tame and living with a family. if they don't get along we have facility to keep them in different rooms - Eden is especially fond of my hubby but will go to any of the family we have played pass the bird from getting her and that won't change. Its an adult only household here and this boy seems to not appreciate kids where he is currently - something I tend to agree with him on! A lot to think about thanks for all the info

6. Angela Cook

well we are now a 2 birb family - initial through the bars intro went well - now covered for bed and hearing little mumbles from Eden and 'Rio' (might change his name) is replying. Normally shes completely silent at lights out. We'll take it very slowly but happy for now.

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Congrats on being a two bird family!! Agree with DizzyBlue to keep an eye on Rio, especially as he matures. Hopefully these two might be the best of friends and it sounds like the initial intro went well. Keep providing good experiences for each of them when in the vicinity of each other... ie. you could give one a treat and then the other to reinforce relaxed body language. That way they begin to look forward to being in each other's company because good things happen. Of course they could decide they don't like each other after all (you are not in charge of all the reinforcers all the time).

My Ollie (Orange-winged Amazon) and Bobbie (Red-lored Amazon) used to get on, to the point of being able to share a cage for short periods of time. But Ollie doesn't like to be touched and Bobbie kept sidling up to him. They now fight if she gets too close. Bobbie is female and Ollie male. Ollie prefers Kobe the Blue-headed Pionus (male) but Kobe doesn't really like Ollie that much, although he's getting used to him and I think he's glad Ollie protects him from Bobbie at times. I have to watch them all with Chico (Panama Amazon) because Chico is elderly and disabled. Bobbie has bitten Chico... she doesn't seem to get on with anybody. I think she prefers humans as does Kobe which is interesting because I believe Bobbie was hand raised and I know for sure Kobe was.

8. Angela Cook

Thanks roz we will take it very slowly and work on issues (as I'm sure they will be some as they occur) if treating would you say always treat in the same order Eden first etc7

9. Parrot797

Parrot797 Regular Member

Hand reared Amazons are usually perfect for breeding,that is why I use them!

10. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Yes, I would probably begin with Eden, but it doesn't really matter. Just keep going back and forth giving one a treat and then the other. If you can make the treats small (pieces of nut rather than a whole one for example) you can keep going back and forth and they don't get satiated too quickly. You can also do this when you open both cage doors. Just make it a good experience for them to be in the vicinity of each other.

Also work on training them both to do something simple like targeting.... or even use the step up if they can both step up. It will make them feel more like a team and will be fun for the three of you. For example, first ask Eden to step up. Yay - treat! Put her down again and also give Rio a treat. Then swap. Ask Rio to step up. Yay - treat! Put him down and also give Eden a treat. Team work! :beer-toast1:

11. Angela Cook

That's a fab idea treating both when one steps up been using tiny bits of walnut today whenever he shows positive behaviours this morning he wouldn't accept them from my hand by this afternoon he was performing his repertoire for them. Eden is pretty much ignoring him although she did give him a look this morning when they had their toast but she is now watching telly with her 'dad' now so business as usual for her. Thanks again its much appreciated