Can anyone help ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OllieMoss

Registered
Hello, I recently got my male kakariki Monte, I work night shifts so I have to start work at 7pm and I don’t finish till 7am, I work at home so I’m always around but I want him to get into a sleep pattern, if I put his blanket on at 9pm and take his blanket off at 7am when I go to bed will he be okay till I wake at 3pm? As that’s a long time to be on his own Or what would be the best time to settle him down and wake him to fit around my work? If anyone could help would be great thannkyou!

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hi
You can usually tweak their sleep time by a bit but as the days and nights get longer daylight hours your going to find his sleep pattern alters to fit with that regardless of what you do.
I keep kaks as well but mine are aviary birds and have others to keep them company I keep them with cockatiels and budgies. They are very social birds very active and being alone is against the grain as birds in general are flock species.
I would say..... get a really big cage and I mean big fill it with lots of toys and things to do put the cage at an angle (against a wall) so he can see outside and seriously think about a companion like a cockatiel of budgie to keep him company while you sleep.

OllieMoss

Registered
Thankyou very much, I got him 3 days ago recently my father past and I’ve had no interest in anything until my grandad brought Monte round, I worry that as he’s come from a small Avery with other birds he will get very lonely, so I will definitely consider a friend, just waiting to get paid the. I will buy him a massive cage, also for the time being while I sleep but it be okay to leave his cage open and maybe stick a couple perches around the room and toys so he can fly about ? As I don’t mind him flying around my room while I sleep, poo can be cleaned and there isn’t any possibility he could escape? Thankyou for your response

OllieMoss

Registered
also I forgot to mention, I work at home, so I’ll always be here, and while I sleep for the mean while I can have someone check up on him every hour, also I work 3 days on 2 off for the next month or so then it’ll be 3 on and 4 off so I’ll have plenty more time to come, I will be allowed another bird when the weather picks up and grandad can build my Avery outside, so he’ll have a friend shortly just waiting now

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Parrots a real mischief makers you will have no house left if he's on the loose! But they always seem to get themselves into trouble chewing things they shouldn't or getting stuck somewhere for his safety best he is put in his cage while you can't supervise. There's some great training threads and heaps of diet threads to read.
Remember to buy a cage with the correct size bar spacing.
Really sorry for your loss.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
By the way.... Bird keeping especially parrots is addictive..... Before you know it the perishers have you so well trained and wrapped around their little toes.... You end up a parrot slave like the rest of us :pilot:

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Cage wise try and aim for something like this.
Ok you will have to purchase food and water holders
Try and go for natural branches (we have a list of safe wood)
Kaks love to run around upside down on the roof!
It has a nice big door and a good safe lock.... Kaks you can guarantee if anybody is watching and learning how to get in and out its them :watchout:

OllieMoss

Registered
Thankyou so much for your support ! And I’ve got the basics cage with 4 perches 2 high, one next to his water drinker and one next to his grit and far ball holder and seed, have bunch of toys in its way for Thursday! He’s rubbing his beak and making a crunching sound is this normal?

OllieMoss

Registered
I’m going to buy that cage you have recommended will that be okay for 2 while they are inside? As me and my grandad will be building and outdoor Avery off my garage, but will it house 2 for the night time ??

CaptainHowdy

Thankyou so much for your support ! And I’ve got the basics cage with 4 perches 2 high, one next to his water drinker and one next to his grit and far ball holder and seed, have bunch of toys in its way for Thursday! He’s rubbing his beak and making a crunching sound is this normal?
Do you mean fat ball holder? If so please don't feed the little one fat balls.

With the grit is it soluble or insoluble? Soluble is ok to feed, such as oyster shell grit. But don't feed the insoluble kind, that's aimed towards poultry and birds that don't dehusk their seed.

The beak grinding is normal, you will find they do it quite often when they are settling down to sleep for a bit.

With the aviary please ensure you do a concrete floor to stop anything coming up and in such as rodents or foxes, also have 2 layers of mesh and have the outer mesh 1/4 by 1/4 inch, this will stop rodents and also prevent anything getting to the birds through the mesh. I always put a layer of 1/4 by 1/4 inch mesh underneath my concrete floor as well to stop rats chewing in.

OllieMoss

Registered
Thankyou for your response I’ll take the fat ball out, and it’s grit for love birds and kakis as my grandad gave me it, so I believe it wil be okay but I’ll double check, and yes he will build it for me so it’ll be 100% safe he takes pride in his birds

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Kakarikis are a seed eating birds they also love fruit and veggies
Pick a decent clean seed mix like a decent cockatiel mix and then offer a different bowl with fruit and veggies in and you need one for water so three bowls.

Kakarikis love the dig around in stuff foraging so be prepared to watch them dangling the feet and toes into stuff flicking it around to see whats hiding in there

There is a list of things you cant feed read the thread link below
(1) Food To Avoid | The Parrot Club

There's a massive list of things you can feed though .... the below links should keep you busy for a while lol
(1) Vegetables | The Parrot Club
(1) Beans / Pulses / Lentils | The Parrot Club
(1) Fruit And Berries | The Parrot Club
(1) Safe Foliage For Our Birds | The Parrot Club

OllieMoss

Registered
Thankyou dizzyblue, Monte has been with me for 3 days and hasn’t stopped cheeping and cackling like he was laughing! He took his first bath this morning and has had plenty of veg for breakfast! Today he came up to the open cage and adventures around my room, flying around my curtain pole and what not, so I opened the top of his cage and he flew towed and let me catch him and place him back, with very little flapping and pancaking from us both, it was a very happy moment for me and clearly Monte, as for the first time in 4 months he spread his wings fully! Thankyou guys so much !!!

OllieMoss

Registered
is it just Kakarikis I can house together or is there any other small parrot ? Looking to get him a friend maybe slightly more vocal to encourage him with his sounds and noises

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Cockatiel or a budgie or a conure
It's very rare for a kakariki to talk. Budgies have held the world record for the most words spoken for a lot of years. Cockatiels are very intelligent they are the smallest of the cockatoo family. Conures.... Hmmm can be very loud and quite cheeky very loyal to their owners when a bond is formed.

OllieMoss

Registered
Hey guys, I’m not sure if I’m over thinking and rushing things but Monte doesn’t really come to me, I understand that kakis have short attention spans and aren’t the most affectionate today’s humans but I know we can form a bond, he loves flying high in my room but he doesn’t hesitate to switch between his cage and my curtain pole lol, I don’t have to catch him so I think that’s not as stressful, just any tips on bonding would help I kno it’s normally down to the owner, bird and ways of doing things, just want him to love me lol

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Your going to need these threads to read then to start with :)

Top Bottom