Kakariki! Help Please

kirbychan

Registered
Hello my kakarki shes about 8 months old now she laid a couple of unfertilised eggs a week ago and now shes losing so many feathers! im really worried about her i dont know if shes having a bad moult with it being her first one or if she has mites or anything she has lost alot near her neck area. ive checked her beak and feet and they dont seem crusty or anything but she looks to be preening and biting her feathers alot i dont know if thats something they do during a mault. if any advice could be given id really appreciate it thank you

she was on mix seeds diet , ive also bought her 2 sets of calcium and a liquid to put in her water to help her feathers grow back, ive also been giving her bocoli and coliflower aswell abit at a time

sounds good another thing I would give is egg food. these high energy birds love the ground and can if outside or in a home with cats or dogs around pick up mites so it is always worth a check on that side. I have had female conures and love birds that pluck around there neck wit no other reason but times of egg laying but I have never come across this with any of the Kaks

im hoping its just a bad mault as ive read that they sometimes go though really bad 1s shes moving around alot if it were mites is there anything i could see that would be noticable? that would indicate she did have them

the first set of Kaks that i had came from an aviary and they had red mites the treatment was in a form of a spray spotted by my vet at the time the male had worms as well that was spotted by myself in it poop but both problems sere successfully treated with avian advice.

okay ill leave it for a few days and if i see no improvement ill take her to the vets thankyou

:welcome: Good advice given. Do keep us up to date and any worries straight to avian vet.:thumbsup:

To me it sounds like she's trying to 'line' the nest with her own feathers. Where is she sitting them?

Back
Top Bottom