Kakariki Breeding Help And Info

Liam Bodden

Registered
Hi all, so some kind people on here recently helped me indentify the gender of my kakariki. I have seen a blue one for sale which I’m thinking about buying but first I needed to know some things,
Will the colour mutation change anything with breeding? Will they be able to? Also the seller is not also sure on the gender but believe she was sold as a hen so if anybody could spot anything on the attached photo that would help, I will also attach a photo of my kak.
39080848-90C7-4283-944A-427F0A570455.jpeg
AA42CECD-74FB-4D08-A24D-A698123FC5F3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Reynolds

How old is the bird? it looks female now I cannot help in the colour side with Kaks. with the blue but if its like the red rump the colour has a better chance of continuing through the female. I notice it has its wing clipped. how this can affect the bird especially a Kak as they have a very fast heart rate and designed to be very active. not a bird I would consider for breeding owing to the clipping.

Liam Bodden

Registered
How old is the bird? it looks female now I cannot help in the colour side with Kaks. with the blue but if its like the red rump the colour has a better chance of continuing through the female. I notice it has its wing clipped. how this can affect the bird especially a Kak as they have a very fast heart rate and designed to be very active. not a bird I would consider for breeding owing to the clipping.
I’m certain it’s about 1 year old so I’d be waiting a month or two until I would put them together anyway because of her age but I just wanted to make sure everything was 100% before I got her, still not sure with the whole mutation situation, I’ve seen videos of different mutations breeding but once again just want to be 100% sure.

Michael Reynolds

if it is a year old it is a female, I do worry with Kaks especially when the female cannot get away from a male, they can get nasty with each other this is why I do not recommend getting a bird that has clipped wings. Apart from that I worry about the health issues. My kaks hid away from the male whilst laying

Liam Bodden

Registered
if it is a year old it is a female, I do worry with Kaks especially when the female cannot get away from a male, they can get nasty with each other this is why I do not recommend getting a bird that has clipped wings. Apart from that I worry about the health issues. My kaks hid away from the male whilst laying
The seller had said the kak was tamed whilst young but over the months she’s starting to not want to get handled again so he clipped one wing. He also said she still has one flight feather and will moult this year and have full flight wings again, so what do you think about it ?

Michael Reynolds

I cannot help being against the clipping of wings but to clip one side can be more dangerous, I do not believe that they clipped one wing or the bird was tame, and I doubt if it was because it was tame at one stage but for breeding it is better to have the non tamed birds that are fully healthy.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
That's blue mutation looks like it's leg ring is too large
My kaks to breed twice last year and have a buttercup female with a cinnamon male and have ended up with a right splash of colourations! Rubbish pictures as mine are as wild as sin and aviary birds so they are a lot more jittery when it comes to people pointing phones at them lol
These are the parents
IMG_3910.JPG
This is the second batch of young that hatched last year
IMG_5597.JPG
If your not after a particular colouration of birds (blues including recessive blues seem to command a higher price when selling on for some reason) then by all means go for different colours to be together. If your thinking of seriously breeding then stick to single colour forms together either two buttercups or two blues etc

Top Bottom