1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kak Egg

Discussion in 'Breeding And Babies' started by Yellowchickenparrot, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

So my kak had layed one egg in the nest box. What do I do lol

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Leave it I guess if your move it she will lay more and probably will lay a full clutch anyway.

3. Yellowchickenparrot

Owww exciting, as I lost two birds this year I wouldn't like to have a few new ones.

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Leave them, kaks can lay up to nine eggs one of mine did but its quite often up to six

Yellowchickenparrot likes this.
  5. Yellowchickenparrot

My earlier post was ment to day I would like not wouldn't. I wonder if they will hatch

6. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Just to day don't forget to give them some moist egg food like EMP, but I am sure others will advise you.

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  7. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

8. Scott Harris

Scott Harris Registered

Any updates? how many has she layed at the moment? has she started to sit on them?

9. Yellowchickenparrot

There is two or three and she has pulled all the bedding out and is sitting on them from Tuesday.

dianaT likes this.
  10. Michael Reynolds

try not to disturb her, at least she is in her nest box mine used to make there nest area in some unusual places like in my chest of draws or under the wardrobe although I provided boxes

11. Yellowchickenparrot

So she seems to be sitting on four eggs, I'm feeding EMP with seeds fruit and veg but I feel I'm not prepared! The sleeping area is is fairly sheltered but not warm or closed off from outside, will this be ok for babies? I keep kaks as they are well suited to our UK weather and don't need a heated bird room over winter but I haven't thought about babies. Do I need special baby food? Could the mum abandon the young? Do I need to make more shelter? Feeling panicky lol

12. Michael Reynolds

you are wanting the parents to bring up the chicks then keep the parents on the same diet as you are as they if good parents will turn the food they have into a rich mix that they will feed them. keeping chicks warm is also down to the parents you will find that during the colder times the mother will spend more time close to them the body temperature of a kakariki is much warmer than ours, they also have a faster heart rate than other parrot species, these are high energy birds so I would say you should have no problems if they are good parents. once the chicks are ready to be fully weaned always keep a soft food available

Yellowchickenparrot likes this.