Juno update and an Unexpected new addition to the family

Libbiheath

Registered
Heya,
Since my last post about Juno, I just wanted to do an update.
I am pleased to say he is almost back to full health! He’s chirping, playing and flying about, his weight is still quite low but everyday I’m weighing him and still giving his medication until the course is over. He’s steadily gaining weight and I know it’ll take quite some time until he’s the perfect weight but im so excited to see him fully happy!

Also this is a huge surprise for both me and my family. But on Wednesday night I got a call off one of my friends and they said that their neighbour has a young parrot and he’s moving to an apartment which doesn’t allow pets so he can’t take his parrot with him. I was shocked and I immediately contacted the parrots owner asking for more details. He was very trustworthy, and had done his research on parrots. And he basically said I’ve heard how good you are with Birds so I’d love it if you adopted Barney. After some consideration I said yes! And on friday Barney was welcomed to the family!
He’s just too cute!!! But very cheeky, he adores my glasses and my hair (probably because it’s super bright coloured lol)
As I’m only 17, I know it’s a big commitment to take on a parrot, but I’ve been researching for the past few years and recently I’ve gained a job working with parrots and other birds and reptiles and I continue to learn more everyday!
Barney is not 100% tame, I’ve learnt from his body language and the noises he makes that he doesn’t like it at all when hands go near him. So by using positive reinforcement and clicker training I’m slowly training him to be comfortable around hands. I have earned a few bite marks can’t lie but He’s gotten to the stage where he only makes noises now when he sees my hand which I think in just a day is a huge improvement!
I’ll keep everyone updated!
66B66D52-B34A-431C-8277-00C97736A2BC.jpeg4D46A4EC-069D-4ED8-82E4-66F5CB83C59E.jpegFA02871E-8710-4106-895D-88E75DFA28E1.jpeg

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Poor little Barney looks to be fully wing clipped on the right wing :(
No quarantine whilst already having a sick bird is not advisable I take it the new bird hasn't been disease tested nor seen an avian vet for a health check before you took it home?

Last edited:

Libbiheath

Registered
Poor little Barney looks to be fully wing clipped on the right wing :(
No quarantine whilst already having a sick bird is not advisable I take it the new bird hasn't been disease tested nor seen an avian vet for a health check before you took it home?
Barney can fly just fine! Also I don’t let him near the budgies so he can’t pass on any illnesses if he had any. As I said the owner was very good and new a lot about parrots so he was registered with a vets, but I need to register him with a vets near me

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Perhaps the angle of the photo can't see the primaries in that wing :thinking:
If you get your vet to contact his vet they will transfer the health records over free of charge.
Quarantine doesn't work like that unfortunately because you come into contact including clothing with both and they are in the same "air space" is how it works. Fingers crossed everyone will be fine as you said it was gram negative bacterial infection your budgie has.

Libbiheath

Registered
Here’s both of his wings, I believe they’re both okay. Also I’m aware and watching to make sure that nothing happens to Barney, but despite that I very much doubt he will catch what Juno has since Juno is pretty much better I’m just finishing his medication until the end date and I keep them apart and I don’t handle Juno unless I have to :)
492D648A-AF9F-4E1D-B4A6-91140D5B006D.jpeg58D43E69-53C2-4E23-8694-03A24BC5585B.jpeg

Roz

Elected Forum Trainer
:welcome: Barney! Sounds like the training is going well. 🥰 Glad Juno is almost back to full health. 😊

Top Bottom