Jax has laid AN EGG!!!!

JimmyJax

Registered
Ok so if anyone has seen previous posts, we were not sure if our 6 month cockatiel was male or female.

Last night SHE was acting very strange and I posted a video of her doing like a squatting over her food bowl.

This morning there is an egg there. This has totally panicked me. So i have a few questions.

1. I have read that we should not touch or move the egg from the foodbowl. Should we not make her a nest or just let her do her thing whereever she wants?

2. Is she likely to have a real baby in there? How do we know she was not pregnant when we got her?

3. When at work we play cockatiel sounds for her. Other cockatiels making noise etc. Does she maybe think theres a male in the house. Should we stop thia?

4. Does she need a vet?

Totally freaking out here. Any help advice appreciated.
IMG-20210422-WA0000_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Did tell you it was female.
No chick is going to hatch as you would need her to be mated with a male.
Birds don't get pregnant she's a bird not a mamal. Egg takes about two days to form inside the bird before it's laid. She would have to have been mated within that time for it to be fertile (ie have a chick develop inside the egg)
She doesn't need a vet
She does need cuttlefish bone to nibble on if she wants.
Take the egg out of the feed bowl cover the base grill of your cage with newspapers and pop the egg in a corner of the cage. If she's interested in sitting it she will and she will lay her clutch along with that one. Cockatiels have their own number in their heads of how many they want to lay and sit sometimes 3 sometimes up to 6. Eggs are laid every other day.
What she's doing is natural.
Give her more toys to chew on and play with and things to do.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Would advise you to have a good read of the following website it's all about cockatiels and what they can and cannot have to eat, their personalities, their behaviour, their requirements - it's a really good in-depth site packed with information and you will be able to read everything there is to cockatiel keeping as pets. I have 8 cockatiels in my small flock and have kept tiels for about 30 years now they are brilliant birds and for some reason people over look them as a great companion.

JimmyJax

Registered
Did tell you it was female.
No chick is going to hatch as you would need her to be mated with a male.
Birds don't get pregnant she's a bird not a mamal. Egg takes about two days to form inside the bird before it's laid. She would have to have been mated within that time for it to be fertile (ie have a chick develop inside the egg)
She doesn't need a vet
She does need cuttlefish bone to nibble on if she wants.
Take the egg out of the feed bowl cover the base grill of your cage with newspapers and pop the egg in a corner of the cage. If she's interested in sitting it she will and she will lay her clutch along with that one. Cockatiels have their own number in their heads of how many they want to lay and sit sometimes 3 sometimes up to 6. Eggs are laid every other day.
What she's doing is natural.
Give her more toys to chew on and play with and things to do.
Sorry. Remember I am new to all this :(.
She has cuttlefish so thats all good.
I will also make her a nest.
She has quite a few toys but never plays.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
We all start somewhere @JimmyJax don't worry about it :) you'll soon be able to help the next person that comes along with all the things you've learned. Your not the first person nor will you be the last person that didn't know. What makes a good bird keeper is the person that chooses to learn. And that is exactly what you have started to do. :thumbsup: There is no such thing as a daft question on here.
She should make the nest herself usually its just a dip in the ground they aren't proper nest builders
Great you have the cuttlefish bone. I will try and find you a video i once say of how an egg is made inside a bird its really fascinating how they make their bones "liquidise" some calcium into their blood stream then that goes into the reproductive system and crystallizes around the yoke which is surrounded by the white and held within a sack right before its laid. Flipping amazing stuff.
If you think about it logically you would have worked it out anyway. chickens lay an egg everyday so each egg is made inside them everyday so each egg has to be fertilised separately.
Cockatiels usually lay an egg every other day until they reach their clutch size - that being the number of eggs the hen thinks is a good number to sit and brood. They will sit them even if they are not fertile so if she wants to sit them let her she will get bored when she knows there are not going to be any chicks hatching.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
So she's not playing with the toys because she was likely bred in an aviary and doesn't know what they are. Time to show her. Yup seriously! To get mine to play with some toys I had to show by playing with them myself. Some toys i have to admit they don't play with as they don't like them other things they are obsessed with like bells, balls, swings..... seriously can't get enough of playing with those things with my gang.

Top Bottom