1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jackie The Hahns Macaw

Discussion in 'A Place To Discuss And Show Off All Other Pets' started by Wakizashi21, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Wakizashi21

Wakizashi21 Regular Member

Hi Everyone, as you all know i have my Hahns Macaw Toto for nearly two years now and just over two weeks ago we have had Jackie join us who has been rehomed under some very sad news about her owner going through last stages of the illness.

Jackie is plucked from the chest and back and alittle from the shoulders. This habit started when the other hahns macaw who Jackie was really attached too was left unattended with the dogs and.....

I wanted some advice on how to know if a parrots feathers are totally damaged or if there is still a chance for them to grow back?im hoping to help it recover all of its feathers but knowing from experience its not how it always works out but it’s definitely worth a shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JessCheekyMia and dianaT like this.
  2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Welcome to Jackie.
    Well,it very much depends on whether there has been damage done to the feather follicles...if somthe feathers won’t regrow.
    I guess it’s a case of wait and see, hopefully with Toto’s company, your care and a good diet, that will give her the best chance.

plumsmum, JessCheekyMia, Rain and 2 others like this.
  3. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

Just looks like my Missy,

Missy has feathers missing just like yours in the pic. I've not seen Missy physically pluck her feathers, but I would say that she over preens them. I've found nothing that I've done has reverse or stopped Missy lost feathers.

You can find out more about Missy in the link below and all the things that I've tired for her. If you find out what works for Jakie, then please let me know as I would like to see if it works with Missy too.

https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/ive-just-picked-up-a-new-bird.30268/

JessCheekyMia and Wakizashi21 like this.
  4. Wakizashi21

Thank you

I really hope so. I do think some feathers have grown back...but have had her only a week so not been able to judge properly.

5. Wakizashi21

I will definitely try some of the suggestions. I do think she over preens from the looks of it as shes consistently going at her feathers. Im hoping the improvement in diet, vitamins and cages will really help her. Came in a small tiny budgie cage.

RoyJess likes this.
  6. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well done @Wakizashi21 for giving a loving home to Jackie - you are a star you really are.
    How sad that her chum met a nasty end.
    It will be great if you and Roy can learn from each other what may help feathers to grow back, we all know sometimes they do and just sometimes they don't. So long as they are loved and well cared for I doubt the birds themselves mind one bit.
    Do keep us up to date.:thumbsup:

JessCheekyMia and Wakizashi21 like this.
  7. Wakizashi21

Definitely. It was in sad circumstances and alot of tears but has joined the family now. Think Jackie is more of a flock bird rather than a solo bird in a home especially losing feathers after her partner passing away.

Will keep everyone updated. Its a new experience for me so will be a good learning curve

RoyJess, Roz and dianaT like this.
  8. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

That is so sad, bless her. I don't think Jackie could find a better home than yours. She is in the right home with the right care. So well done taking her on. Like Diana said "you are a star".

RoyJess and Wakizashi21 like this.
  9. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Congrats on your new addition. Even after 20 years of causing mayhem with her feathers my Lou's still keep trying to come back, definitely 10/10 for persistence there. You know what to do and the rest is to try and not focus on it. Fingers crossed for you. :)

RoyJess and Wakizashi21 like this.
  10. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

well I know you will do your best with her and we can hope that she will get her clothes back on in time

Wakizashi21 likes this.
  11. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

I would advise getting the little one checked for psittacosis, pbfd and polyoma virus at the very least. Whilst the plucking could very well be down to loosing her mate it could also be down to one of the above which has triggered with the stress of the loss.

I test all mine during quarantine regardless of any symptoms as they don't always show.

Plus a vet visit is always advised to get a feel for the overall health of the little one.

I have a Patagonian who is a plucked and he gets feathers grow in the same specific spots but other areas have always been naked and will unfortunately remain that way.

12. Wakizashi21

Thanks everyone i will definitely do that. :) thanks all for the vote of confidence. Fingers crossed it goes well. I will have her checked for disease for sure prior to introducing to the flock

13. Roz

Roz Regular Member

That's lovely of you to take in Jackie.

14. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Hopefully people will see this thread and learn that you can't have predators (ie dogs, cats etc) around their parrots. Even if their dog or cat is friendly they can turn even if it wasn't aggression can kill their birds.

RoyJess likes this.