1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This The Molting Period

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by Priyanka, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Priyanka

Priyanka Regular Member Registered

Hi
    One of my ringneck is shredding feathers. Its been few weeks. Is there any specific period and when could it end. Most importantly what kind of food will be the best to feed at this time ??

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If it is moulting time which could well be it can go on for a while. You may like to offer a little sprinkle of vitamins or powdered calcium a couple of times weekly on food. Like Calcivet or Neutrobal.

Priyanka likes this.
  3. Priyanka

Priyanka Regular Member Registered

Oh ok. Can i buy this powder online. If yes which is the best site to look for.

4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

the ringnecks can molt at any time of year and depending on the molt and how heavy it is for how long it will last, you may notice pin fathers on your birds head also, it can last up to eight weeks but most times you will not see bald patches but find feathers in the cage and around

6. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Moulting only feels like it last forever :) they moult flight feathers in pairs one from one wing and then within usually 48 to 72 hours exactly the same feather in the opposite wing. There is a moulting sequence thread on here that may be of help. Depending on the conditions the bird is kept in depends on the time of year they moult. Aviary birds do it when the weather changes more favourable and steady. In the house the birds have an un-natural environment with central heating etc on so it can vary. My house birds have been in moult for the last 10 days or so first the greys started and now the amazons have started, my aviary dudes aren't moulting at all. I make sure that the house birds have more humidity at this time as it helps them to stop the feathers drying out too fast as they are growing in their "casings" this is when they are at blood feather stage.