Is This Really Possible?

Michael Reynolds

If there was some at Stafford this tiel2 cannot be the only one. I am not one for cross breeding but if it happens I would love the bird as just the same way as any other flock member. Price would not convince me to sell I can remember I got offered monies for Beryl that I thought was stupid but I would never of sold him no matter what I was offered although I could buy loads of ringnecks. I must admit it is interesting and I hope the bond will last between them.

Wakizashi21

The one in the article wasn't deliberate. They had an aviary of tiels and one male galah in there.

Plenty of tried doing it since however.
Im just surprised there is more than one. I can understand a one off... but not as a mutation sold freely. But i do prefer natural colours of the bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainHowdy

Im just surprised there is more than one. I can understand a one off... but not as a mutation sold freely. But i do prefer natural colours of the bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's no different to people breeding the different macaw species together. They can give it a fancy name and get more money for it. So once they know it is possible they'll do it for money.
Quite sad really when a lot of species are endangered and you've got people cross breeding instead of trying to conserve the species but that's humans for you.

Im in no way supporting this
However, isnt that how different species occur? Through cross breeding? Perhaps not in birds

But dogs, labradoodles cost a fortune, some people hate that since they are a mongrel, but wouldnt the Labrador at some point be a cross between two dogs?

So say if people bred galatiels with galatiels, you'd end up with a whole flock of them and couldnt they be considered a species as much as an african grey

Im probably making no sense....

CaptainHowdy

Im in no way supporting this
However, isnt that how different species occur? Through cross breeding? Perhaps not in birds

But dogs, labradoodles cost a fortune, some people hate that since they are a mongrel, but wouldnt the Labrador at some point be a cross between two dogs?

So say if people bred galatiels with galatiels, you'd end up with a whole flock of them and couldnt they be considered a species as much as an african grey

Im probably making no sense....

Not quite. A cockatiel and a cockatoo are different species under the same family group.

A Labrador and a German Shepard are different breeds under the same species. You make different breeds by selective breeding and yes cross breeding though they are all just dog's so they are still the same species.

Most different species occur by evolution over hundreds and thousands of years.
Us cross breeding species is not natural and rarely happens in the wild if at all as they tend to stick to their own species.
All we breed are hybrids and i think you'd be hard pushed to get them really recognised as a wild species as even if you released a hundred pairs in the wild chances are they wouldn't survive. A lot of cross species pairing ends up with mules who are infertile.

I hope this makes sense.

TomsMum

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Yes......there is a real argument going on within the psittacine scientific community at the moment regarding the so-called species of new Amazon found in the Yucatan, Mexico... about which some say there is no scientific evidence in the wild, and that the pair used to produce the discovery paper are just hybrids.

JessCheekyMia

I just find it hard to get my head around people cross breeding 2 species together to make a bird that is supposed to be worth more in money. In the wild I doubt this happens a lot or even never as different species comes from different areas. I think interfering is wrong, just leave them with their own kind.
Health problems may occur due to being bred this way, like parrot797 said Hybrids are infertile and that's just one.

marley

I have seen several hybrids other than the usual macaw ones, I hate them all in principle and cannot see any good reason for allowing or indeed setting out to create them but that's just my opinion.
Not sure if I have posted this before on here but this is a hybrid I saw recently. I shall leave you to have a guess

a1.JPG

Top Bottom