1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Just An Unusually Long Moult?

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by Japhasmum, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Japhasmum

Japhasmum Registered

My 26 year old senegal, Japha, seems to have been moulting for months now. He's shedding several feathers per day and I've become really worried. His skin is clear with no problems, his feathers have a gorgeous lustre and apart from dropping feathers everywhere he's the picture of health. He's certainly not feather plucking.

is it possible this is just a long moult? We don't have a good avian vet in our vicinity and the last time we went to oh (very good) vet was traumatic all round so I'd rather avoid takin him unless absolutely necessary.a

I'd be glad of any advice

2. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Hi Japhasmum! All my birds are moulting now. Some parrots moult twice a year. Some species moult for a longer length of time than others. If a bird hasn't got access to natural sunlight, a moult can be at unusual times of the year. Has Japha got an avian sunlamp or does he have access to natural sunshine outdoors? No bald patches or grey undercoat showing? It sounds from your description his feathers are fine. Do you have a picture of him? We love photos anyway!! :biggrin:

3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

If Jaspha is loosing a few feathers each day and not showing signs of baldness plus the feathers Jaspha has are in great condition then I would not worry one of my sennies looses his feathers on a regular basis and has been doing this nearly all year. the others often loos a few at a time and providing that your bird is still active as normal and not sleeping more the Moult is not affecting Jaspha

4. Japhasmum

Japhasmum Registered

Thanks for your advice. I'll try and get a picture. I may be slightly biased:emoji_face_palm: but he is gorgeous. Trouble is he seems to hate having his photo taken and I struggle to get a halfway decent pic. He's a beggar for assuming a lovely pose then trotting off right as hit the button. :emoji_hushed:

5. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: I keep Sennies and have bred them in the past too.

Do you spray Jaspha regularly with warm water, that may help. He may benefit from some calcivet sprinkled on his food a couple of times weekly if he does not already have supplements. Also and I know some folks will disagree with me but, a quick spray with Johnsons anti mite (instructions on the can) could possibly help, and when cleaning his cage make sure his perches corners of the cages and toys are well cleaned too and any cover you put over his cage, this is a precaution but in my opinion worth taking into consideration.

Do let us know how he gets on.:thumbsup: