Is This A Good Idea?

Kendra

Dusky really is driving me up the wall, but as the walls are vanishing under his attentions they will be low. I have had to shut him in his cage he would not let me near Lou, seed and water bowls, his books, his room. When I release him he will not go back in for days, which will make things even more difficult

Right, I wondered if I found him a lady friend, another grey. They could spend the day time together in the aviary whenever weather OK, I do not wish to put him in on his own now, seems cruel for 1 lonely parrot. I know things will not be that simple but anything is better than the way things are now, I really am at the end of my tether.

The training still continues, great, but when his s.s. are gone, end of good Dusky. He does not immediately turn angry, just back into the usual Dusky. Any eggs would be replaced by dummy eggs, no babies here and definitely no more Dusky's.

Opinions please...

Hi Kendra im afraid im unable to advise you im sure someone will be along shortly. x

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well Kendra there is no guarantee that Dusky and another grey would get on, it would be a risk and you could end up with another grey that gets up to no good !

I think it is very important to live with birdie. Is the aviary for birdie comfortable with TV and fridge and sofas and tables that you can live with birdie there? Or birdie to live there by itself thereby separating you from birdie in space and eventually in thoughts as well! How about making your living space comfortable for birdie as well that both can coexist together. Not that difficult to do and very inexpensive as well. On top of that you almost never have to clean the poop from the cage. I almost never did when they lived with me. See it and think of trying it. You might well find this to be your answer
Shanlung foraging for birdies

Trying to pair any birds come with risks but as long as you have plans in place for it and are prepared for those outcomes then it's always worth a try.

If possible see if you can find one you can have meet your little one on neutral territory to tests the waters. I understand this isn't always possible.

Since I got Lex as a pal for Rocky they've bonded exceptionally well and are more than happy to ignore me in favour of each other but will still come to the cage for attention and go back out when they've had enough of me.

Also both my owas turned out to be male even though i tried to find a female but get on absolutely fine so you don't necessarily need opposite genders. Probably helped that Lex is likely to be a lot older than Rocky but it was done with a very slow introduction.

Dusky has lived with me for 2 years nearly now although he is 20 this time. He was a man's bird in the past and still comes out with his "Henry" but this is rare. I have tried every trick and training and, well everything I can come across but Dusky is only kind to me when it suits him, my husband can do virtually anything with him, but he is away 75%+ of the time, even shutting him in his cage is forgiven quickly.

I think he is quite happy in himself, doing exactly what he wishes, when he wishes, but the destruction he is causing is beyond belief. At the moment he is again in full hormone throttle, I wonder if this is because of Lucy Lou, the macaw, who just does not wish to know him and will soon have one of his feet given half a chance. I have to watch every step I take in their room, he is exceedingly good at floor level attacks, I have several scars on my feet to prove this, not sure if my back is scarred, another object of higher level beak attention.

He never had toys before he came here, his evening were spent having cuddles, the change was drastic and sudden. He has only allowed me to scratch his head once and then he gave a bite after a minute. He will now wonder around the table, chewing every corner left and play with the toys on there, he has 2 toy bowls, which once a month will have some attention, throw some things out, feed the chosen piece, even his paperback shredding book has been fed and the TV remote is iffy at the moment as that is jammed up with him feeding it.

I have decided because I am so unsettled, ie. house, not to go any further with seeking a friend. So sit here, with my house slowly falling down around myself and the flock wondering what I can do with him to make us all a little happier.

Last edited:
@shanlung I have looked at your foraging for birdies and thank you. We have been doing clicker training for a while now, short periods with a couple of sunflower seeds, although he enjoys his seeds, once over, it is over for him. Foraging, we have had many attempts with little interest. He does like small parcels, half opened walnuts and anything that he has stolen. He will even eat TOPS pellets if he has opened the plastic bag, prefers plastic to paper. He loves opening the post, I have had many items spoilt with allowing him to do this but if he is happy and not eating the house, a small price to pay. Hanging things for him - he only climbs onto chairs and tables, does not use any of the ropes and parrot stands/trees. He had a broken wing at some time and when he came he did not fly except downhill, this has improved over time but not one of his favourite occupations. A couple of your ideas I found new so will try these for him, one that comes to mind and maybe easy to do is a thick, bound rope hanging near the floor, will look more into that. I wish I could find safe paper that sounds and tastes like plastic for him.

Back
Top Bottom