Is there something wrong with my budgie?

Libbiheath

Registered
Hiya, this is my sweet budgie called vinnie, she’s quite small and can’t fly very well due to bad wing clipping in her past, my other two budgies are perfectly healthy and play all the time. However vinnie, does not like to bathe, or doesn’t really play, she’ll chew on something a little and then just preen herself a lot, also she can get quite aggressive. Today I woke up with her covered in blood and she had a broken blood feather, after some panicking I was able to sort that out and she’s okay. But I’ve noticed upon closer inspection her beak is suddenly crusty compared to my other budgies and her poop is grey and white? I couldn’t find any information about that online so could someone help please!

Welcome :)

Are you able to post up pictures of the little one?

Did the broken blood feather get completely removed?

When you say the beak is crusty is it the beak itself or the cere above it?

D6D71FFD-46CA-4C54-933E-EC87935F77C1.jpeg
Here’s a photo, yes I made sure the tip was completely removed, I put some bird disinfection on it and she’s stopped bleeding and picking at it.

Hi, yeah I’m only 16 and my birds are mine to care for since my moms is terrified of them, luckily when I was younger my uncle had an African grey parrot and he showed me once how to remove a blood feather, I was so scared lmao, but she’s been with me for about 6/7 months now, and her past owner was horrible to her and they just locked her in a cage and barely cleaned it ect so I thought there might be a possibility of mites due to that but I’m relatively new to caring for birds 24/7 so I had no idea, then I got my other two budgies and after studying their behaviour I just got worried about vinnie. She preens all the time, and her beak is crusting, and she’s moulting as well like anything I forgot to put that, every morning there’s a pile of feathers on the floor. whereas my other birds have crystal clear beaks, they only moult when they come into breeding season, and they play all day as well. (They are in a separate cage due to the isolation period ) I read somewhere mites may not show up straight away so is there a possibility of that being the case with vinnie?

It does look like it could be scaley face mites.

If you can get some ivermectin you need to treat all the birds once a week for 2 / 3 weeks to ensure you get all the mites. You need to clean the cages out daily and clean all toys and perches. You should notice an improvement in her beak after the first week.

What are her feet and legs like?

:welcome: from me. What a gorgeous Budgie Vinnie is and thank goodness has found a good home with you.
I was so shocked to hear she had been clipped, never heard of that happening to a budgie and as you know such a cruel thing for someone to do. However, happy days are ahead now she is with you.
Do keep us up to date.

Feet and legs look OK, so just the beak and possibly the feathers.
Hiya, it’s been over a week since I posted a thread about vinnie and her having possible mites, I just wanted to say thank you for your advice! I gave her the medicine you recommended and While her beak is still a little scaly (I’m suspecting it may take some time for it to heal) I’m seeing a vast improvement in vinnie!! She’s stopped preening so often, she’s playing a lot more, and today while I was working on my desk I spotted her dancing on her perch! Something she hasn’t done in such a long time! Thank you so much :)

Hiya, it’s been over a week since I posted a thread about vinnie and her having possible mites, I just wanted to say thank you for your advice! I gave her the medicine you recommended and While her beak is still a little scaly (I’m suspecting it may take some time for it to heal) I’m seeing a vast improvement in vinnie!! She’s stopped preening so often, she’s playing a lot more, and today while I was working on my desk I spotted her dancing on her perch! Something she hasn’t done in such a long time! Thank you so much :)

It can take a few weeks for the beak to start to improve, you might not notice it at first but one day you'll look at it and it will seem much better 🥰

It can take a few weeks for the beak to start to improve, you might not notice it at first but one day you'll look at it and it will seem much better 🥰
Before and after of her beak! She’s looking so much better! Thank you!

Attachments

• 6C0B4CF7-4A5E-4654-B3AF-93B5AF532B36.jpeg
    6C0B4CF7-4A5E-4654-B3AF-93B5AF532B36.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 794B04F1-9CA9-459E-AD42-1A9984B0A562.jpeg
    794B04F1-9CA9-459E-AD42-1A9984B0A562.jpeg
    806.3 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom