is my quaker molting? if so is he older than i thought

niamhandori

Registered
so i have one other thing i wanted to ask today and that’s if my quaker is molting.
it started about a couple weeks ago and he’s losing feathers on his head mostly i’ve attached some photos but it’s not looking as bad as it has done. he even pulled a big one out a coupe days ago!
i learned they molt for the first time at at 9-10 months. he’s also being a bit more aggressive to me at times. he’s biting me and he just seems moody. so i’m wondering if he’s going through adolescence since that can start at 8-12months.
i got him from Birds4homes in Nottingham. some people have said they got their birds and turned out they were much older than they thought they were. i was told Ori was about 3-4 months but i’ve had him a month now maybe a little longer.
he’s just becoming quite difficult at the moment and i don’t know why. i adore him so it’s just one of those things but i am thinking he may be older and going through adolescence. what do you think?

Attachments

CaptainHowdy

It does indeed look like a moult.

Environment can affect how often birds moult especially in houses due to us having air conditioners and radiators.

Is your little one close rung?

niamhandori

Registered
No he’s not close rung unfortunately that would have made it all a lot easier! i do have a radiator however it’s been off for a while fir the heat it’s probably only been on once or twice properly. yesterday i got a dyson hot and cold air conditioning fan but only yesterday. Do you think it’s possible he’s going through adolescence?

CaptainHowdy

No he’s not close rung unfortunately that would have made it all a lot easier! i do have a radiator however it’s been off for a while fir the heat it’s probably only been on once or twice properly. yesterday i got a dyson hot and cold air conditioning fan but only yesterday. Do you think it’s possible he’s going through adolescence?
It's always harder to tell if they aren't close rung.

It is possible he is older than you were told.

Do you have any pictures of him the day you brought him home? Particularly of the eyes? That way you could compare him to others of the supposed same age.

I think I am aware of the shop you got him from now and it wouldn't surprise me unfortunately.

Was this one clipped when you got him? Did you get your tiels from the same shop?

niamhandori

Registered
It's always harder to tell if they aren't close rung.

It is possible he is older than you were told.

Do you have any pictures of him the day you brought him home? Particularly of the eyes? That way you could compare him to others of the supposed same age.

I think I am aware of the shop you got him from now and it wouldn't surprise me unfortunately.

Was this one clipped when you got him? Did you get your tiels from the same shop?
he was clipped yes he was my first bird so i didn’t know for a while. he can fly well and now he’s getting much better at it which is great. after i learned that i got my cockatiels from another pet shop one i’ve known as a good they did also clip them without me knowing though. yes i do have a photo of him he also has weighed the same from when i got him i don’t know if that means anything. he’s always been extremely friendly so i am wondering if he is older and was with another family who cared for him well and tamed him possibly hand reared him or he’s just very friendly. first photo is the day i got him second is the next day and the last is a new one from today

Attachments

Last edited:

Michael Reynolds

the weight will not change as from the three month old to now, as they are fully grown, I will also suspect your bird to be older than what you had been told but I do hope his wing feathers will soon be replaced.

niamhandori

Registered
the weight will not change as from the three month old to now, as they are fully grown, I will also suspect your bird to be older than what you had been told but I do hope his wing feathers will soon be replaced.
yeah i hope so too luckily he’s flying well now and it’s amazing seeing him get strong and strong with flying. i definitely won’t be going back to that shop again after reading the reviews of it

Top Bottom