is it normal for a hand reared bird to not like me?

niamhandori

Registered
so today i got my hand reared cockatiel. i brought him from a local pet shop that gets the babies from a breeder and then they sell them.

i brought him home but he’s really scared of me. he keeps hissing at my fingers and he also doesn’t like to take food from me or treats. i’m not overwhelming him i’m giving him some space and not forcing anything but i’m worried he’ll never bond with me.

everything i’ve seen about hand reared birds say they come super tame and lovely. i have a non hand reared quaker parrot and he’s amazing he bonded to me right away and loves me and he ate from my hand the first day.

any advice on what i should do?

RoyJess

You only got you cockatiel today? Give him time to settle in, get use to his new surroundings, new sounds and new smells. Whether your bird is hand tame or not, be patience and give him time, as soon as he realise that you are no threat, he will take to you.

All our cockatiel and cockatoo hiss at me, this is normal.

I would leave your bird in a room for at least 24 hours on his own to get use to his surroundings and then slowly introduce yourself and then give it a few days to settle before you introduce the rest of your family

RoyJess

I forgot to say :welcome: to the forum.

Also hand rear parrot is not the same as hand tame. Hand rear means that they were reared and weaned away from the parents, don't necessarily mean that they were also hand tame. Cockatiels are quiet sociable birds and should take to you with some time and patience. I found that they are easier to tame than other parrots.

CaptainHowdy

I have handreared birds myself where the life of a bird has been in danger. Some of my handreared birds when they weaned wanted nothing to do with people.
I also have birds that I handled daily from 2 weeks age that have been extremely tame and gone on to make brilliant pets.

My birds all get handled the same when I'm breeding them and some just are not interested in people.

As has been said handreared does not mean handtame.

For now let your little one settle in and give them some space. Then sit near them reading a book out loud and slowly get closer, offer millet sprays through the bars. And remember not to stare at them, make sure you frequently blink when looking in their direction so as not to spook them.

Lauraj

Registered
Hello and welcome.
I have an african grey who was hand reared, when we got him home he stepped up onto my hand out of his carry case with ease and i thought id hit the jackpot, naive of myself! He then didn't come back to me for a couple of days and when i tried to make him step up he hissed. I took a backstep straight away and started to take the same approach i did with my non hand reared parrotlet. By speaking with him, letting him know everything i was doing in the house, letting him see me put his food in and giving him loads of treats from the hand through the cage bars etc.
I quickly learnt that hand reared does not mean the bird is tame and each bird needs time to get used to a new person and new surroundings.

When Bo was used to us he was easier to teach things such as step up and down maybe because he was used to the human hand, where my parrotlet was scared of the hand for a while. But this might not be the same for all parrots hand reared, the progress may be slow and steady but will be well worth it in the end.
As all the other members have said, take your time and be patient, he needs to get used to you and your surroundings.
However he is beautiful, looking forward to seeing your progress with him 😊

Stinkie

Staff member
Welcome. It is possible that your cockatiel was clipped just before you got him and won't want anything to do with people for a while. Did they have to catch him when you went to pick him up or did he step up? Luckily cockatiels are very easy to bribe with food so I'm sure you will be ok in due time.

Michael Reynolds

Looking at the photo your bird has not been clipped and will need to settle down and just get to know you and gain trust, this should not take too long as the bird will see you are not a threat, try not to push your bird to get closer and let him come to you

Stinkie

Staff member
Looking at the photo your bird has not been clipped and will need to settle down and just get to know you and gain trust, this should not take too long as the bird will see you are not a threat, try not to push your bird to get closer and let him come to you
The bird has only one flight feather on each wing and has been given a show type clip.

Top Bottom