1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Andy brown, Apr 15, 2018 at 5:14 PM.

1. Andy brown

Andy brown Regular Member Registered

Hi all
    Just joined today.
    My names Andy I'm 43 married to Lorraine with have two girls Hannah 17 and laurel 14.
    Pets
    Bella staffy cross border terrier
    Timothy and Megan cats
    Biscuit and bandit guinea pigs.
    Vinny. Harry Lola and willow rabbits
    And then there is sonny a nearly 5 yr old Senegal ( still trying to figure out how to add pictures) .
    We have had him about a year after his owner passed away we are good friends with his sister. She didn't want him to be passed from pillar to post of he was sold but my wife fell in love with him.
    He's a real character but does get a bit bitey with me but never with the ladies of the house.
    We are in the process of building him a play corner, the free standing play gym arrived two weeks ago now just to add to it. Any ideas greatly welcomed. I have built him a hanging perch/ feeder but the little sod will not go anywhere near it just hides in my hoody.
    Well that's us.

dianaT likes this.
  2. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Hello and :welcome: to you all, typical re the free standing gym, give him some time to get used to it. If you get the pics thing sorted would really like to see your play gym and of course Sonny. :)

3. Andy brown

4. Andy brown

5. Andy brown

Our play gym part has now been wrapped with vet bandage also some toys added.

6. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Very nice birdie and play gym, give it time :)

7. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That's nice you can hang various parrot toys from that. What's his cage like doe she have plenty in there too.

8. Andy brown

Omg I forgot Glayds our tortoise.

TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  9. Andy brown

10. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Hi Andy and :welcome: to the forum. Sonny is a cracker. I have 2 Senegals, Nacho and Roxy and like yours can be a bit bitey but I think that is common with them. Just make sure you are well stocked up on plasters. I see like me you are on roll ups but I managed to quit 15 months ago. I am sure you wont smoke around Sonny. Also no cooking with Teflon and many other things like air fresheners are out too. I love the markings on Sonny's wing tips with the black band round the edge. Neither of my 2 have those marking and they are 2 different types of Senegals. I think there are a few different types.

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  11. dianaT

Aww dear little chap one happy chappy with his lovely cage, toys and the stand too.

TomsMum likes this.
  12. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hi Andy welcome and sonny looks like a great sennie they can be a little cautions of new things especially big things. well Senegal's do have a strong bite I often call them clingons or Draculas with wings but I just find them wonderful and not hard to train. the photo is of my terry

Attached Files:

• 618.JPG
      618.JPG
      File size:
      759.5 KB
      Views:
  13. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

:welcome: Andy and all the flock

14. Roz

Roz Regular Member

:welcome: Andy and feathered, furred and scaly creatures! Love the pics!

Why not bring the stand increasingly closer to Sonny's big cage over a few days or weeks. Slow enough not to alarm him in the slightest. When it's within reaching distance of his cage, he'll probably be curious enough to check it out. Add some favourite toys and foraging items so that he becomes really interested in being on it. Then you can start wheeling it slowly further and further away over a few days or weeks and he might be more likely to fly to it. Then when it's back in it's rightful place, you could add the swinging play area above it. Doing things in small steps like this will be more manageable for him.

dianaT likes this.
  15. Zooamazons

Zooamazons Regular Member

Welcome Andy.

Andrew

16. Andy brown

Thank you for your advice and kind words

17. dianaT

@Andy brown Just to add hubby calls Senegals.. ....Senegalus senegalus nipperus bloodyhardus !

TomsMum and DizzyBlue like this.
  18. Nik

Nik Regular Member Registered

Hello and welcome! Seems that you got a whole petting zoo there, awesome, enjoy your time with the forum! ;)

19. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Andy welcome to the forum :)
    You'll get used to me I hope! ... I am size 7 foot in mouth up to my eyeballs every time! .... please excuse me ......
    Have to say.... pop your ciggie papers, ashtray, lighter etc and baccie out of sight and reach of little beaks. Tobacco is toxic to parrots, so no smoking in the same place as they are. Their air sacs / lungs are hellishly more efficient than ours are and they have more of them than we do!
    I evicted myself to the kitchen with door closed to house and open to outside world or I go out to the garage when I want a smoke. My choice to smoke but not their choice to put up with my choice :)
    Also need to say well done you for taking on a little one that needed somewhere to call home after the sad loss of their owner :) A happy ending