1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Injured Wing Recovery

Discussion in 'Health' started by James Oxberry, Dec 5, 2018.

1. James Oxberry

James Oxberry Registered

My African grey was last week grabbed by my dog through the cage bars, causing quite a bit of damage to her wing. It's not broken but a lot of feathers were ripped out. Has anyone had any experience of something similar or no the chances of her feathers growing back to give her some flying ability.
    Thanks in advance

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: Sorry to hear this poor Grey. Best you get her checked over by an avian vet they will be able to advise.

3. James Oxberry

James Oxberry Registered

She's been in the vets since Saturday and just came home today. They said they couldn't tell for certain whether or not the feathers would grow back, I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced similar. Hate the thought of her never flying again.

4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Maybe someone else has experience of this and will be along in due course to advise. Pleased to hear she has been seen by the vet, was it an avian vet.

5. James Oxberry

James Oxberry Registered

Thanks for the reply, yeah it was an avian vet.

dianaT likes this.
  6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

It will probably depend on whether the feather beds have been damaged when the feathers came out. If not then feathers could well grow back, but if damaged then unlikely, so you may find some area grow and others do not.

7. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome James, I am sorry to hear that your dog tried to get your grey but I am pleased that your grey was not badly injured, I cannot answer your question and only hope they will grow back but it may take a year for them to do so. I will say my worries are how your grey is and has this affected his/her behavior especially if your dogs about? it must of been a big shock to you.

8. James Oxberry

James Oxberry Registered

There was quite a bit of bleeding hence the stay in the vets, I'm not very hopeful after hearing the responses and looking into it elsewhere

QUOTE="TomsMum, post: 442144,member: 5588"]It will probably depend on whether the feather beds have been damaged when the feathers came out. If not then feathers could well grow back, but if damaged then unlikely, so you may find some area grow and others do not.[/QUOTE]

9. James Oxberry

James Oxberry Registered

The dogs aren't usually around the bird, we went out and left one of them in the passage rather in their room as she is in season. She has opened the sitting room door herself and that's how it's occured. It makes it all the worse that Pepper (The Grey) is just as sweet and loving as ever.

10. Michael Reynolds

I love the name Pepper, if she dose develop signs of being stressed then please post as we have many experience. we love photos. I have five greys living with me

11. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Welcome to the forum
    If the feather beds are damaged then no.
    If they aren't then yes but will be a really troubling time depending if they are able to be supported so they don't snap as there will be no support as they grow.
    Imping could be possible but it depends on how good your avian vet is - hopefully an avian rather than an exotics vet.
    You will know in the come in three weeks as to what the out come will be as its the next few weeks that they will either pin through or won't
    Time to put a catch / latch / lock of some sort on the doorway between the room where the bird is and the area where the dog can go to (the passageway) and don't be surprised if your grey develops neurotic behaviour due to what she has been through she will be stressed ALL the time and fearful of the dogs whenever she sees or hears them

TomsMum likes this.
  12. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

If your vet needs feathers to do the imping ask them to contact Greg Glendall he has a "feather bank" and send feathers out to vets pre-labelled ready for imping (he doesn't charge) http://www.greg-parrots.co.uk/index.php/behavioural-problems
    If they need some extra's I have collected the flight feathers from my greys from this years moult and send them to vets if needed for just such things happy to pop them in the post.

13. James Oxberry

James Oxberry Registered

Thanks for all the responses, the imping sounds like something I'd definitely ask my vet about. I'm back there with pepper on Tuesday. She's been a little trooper about the whole thing, apart from the obvious damage you wouldn't think anything had happened to her. She isn't acting any differently, she came to the bird shop with me today and loved the ride out in the car. The owner came out to see her and he seemed to think they had a chance of growing back in so fingers crossed!

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  14. Michael Reynolds

I will say I do wish new feathers will replace those that have been lost and so much may depend on the damage your bird suffered and if the new feathers need support to allow them to develop and stay. Imping will give support to new feathers in the worst cases. I had a young wild ringneck (BERYL) that was found and believed to of been attacked by a fox, He had lost a lot of his feathers and apart from a small area on the front of its wing they all grew back. Ok it took over a year but he re learnt to fly and became so special to me and loved by all that met him, I tried to release him but he just flew back to me. became so special so there is a lot of hope that yours birds feathers will grow back.