Infertile eggs

Catherine mcdermott

Registered
Hello
I’ve just discovered an egg in my daughters basket where she keeps her books, books shredded (not a big deal because they’re old and we know the birds love to mess about).
I have 2 Kakarikis.
1 is about 10-12months the other which I think is the guilty party is only 5-6months.
I’ve checked it’s egg is infertile and both birds
seem to be female. Similar size not much difference in the beak.
What do I do to stop egg laying? Why is this happening and what do I do with this egg? She has started to bite really sore today 😱

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
You don't stop egg laying if they are happy healthy and feel safe and secure they will nest.
do not take away eggs it will encourage more laying in a different place. Birds will lay until they reach the desired clutch size (each bird has its own feeling on what that is) once they reach that number they will sit and brood the eggs. The bird will realise nothing is developing after a period of time and give up itself when it realises that then egg laying will be over until next breeding season comes around. If you keep removing they will keep laying and deplete their body calcium levels

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I have a few kakarikis in my little dude flock have found trying fake eggs doesn't seem to fool them one but they are way too smart :watchout:

Lauraj

Hello!
I have a parrotlet who gave me a shock when she laid her first egg, before that we thought she was a boy.

She laid her first egg in Feb this year, she has since laid 4 batches. Her last lot she sat on for 5 weeks and then left them when she realised, she has laid another 6 two weeks ago and is laid on them.

I have tried all to discourage the behaviour including moving her cage, shortening her light hours by shutting the curtains near her cage. Her old toys were all replaced with less fluffy toys so to speak and she always had toys and perches rotated weekly, i spoke to my vet who said get her in for a visit and the day after she laid another egg so we have had to put it off.
I have given her calcium powder and followed the instructions on the tub, i have also ordered her new pellets from harrisons as she has been on the high protency course for around 7 months full so i am changing her to the adult life time which says it helps with birds who are prolific egg layers.

I just make sure she has food to hand for when she lays on them, i don’t disturb her and ensure she has calcium powder to prevent her struggling to lay her eggs.. all wonderful advice I have received from the members on here 🙂

Top Bottom