Indoor Aviary

Carolyn_rio

Ok so I have an area of my living room that don't get used so ive decided to build an indoor aviary I can roughly do about 6.5 foot long 2 foot wide and 6 to 7 foot high
the question is does anyone know someone Manchester area who can help build it or help tell me which materials are best as I know some wood and some mesh wire are a no go I also understand that the mesh has to be a certain size due to having budgies which I intend to keep in the aviary
also somewhere I could purchase toys and branchs ect for the inside
Alsdo I was told I could use saw dust for the bottom of the aviary as long as its dust free is this correct ..... any help is much apprieciated

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Wire gauge wise would need to know what species to live in it
Wire would have to over any wood if you build with wood and you need wood that is untreated and also not pressure treated for two reasons … being indoors it doesn't need treatment and also you don't want birdies chewing it and ingesting it
Branches wise …. grab a saw and find a suitable tree to errr liberate some branches from :p sometimes you can find people on gumtree offering free branches for collection just make sure you know what species they are
@Yellowchickenparrot Built an aviary in his garden so he's good for information regarding wood used wire etc
As for people in the Manchester are sorry can't help with names for the actual build.... just remember that you need to be able to scrub it down and keep it clean so think through the design and what goes on the floor of it etc being inside

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
For indoors I would use untreated pine, I used stainless steel mesh for my aviary but that's outside and I didn't want anything getting in or out lol. The whole wire mesh thing gets a bit serious about it's quality and metals it can leech. Decide what your going to keep then we can advise on wire gauge and hole size.

CaptainHowdy

Is it only budgies you want to keep?

Personally if you have the money is opt for someone like Rosemead to build you one. I wouldn't go for wood for budgies indoors. The mess they will create when they chew it! Mine are bad enough and they are outdoors with metal panels as the wood is only so I could double mesh it lol.

Have you though about feeders, will you be feeding inside the aviary or do you want swing feeders?

Perches I prefer natural wood as dizzy said.

Toys you can make your own or buy from somewhere like Scarletts or northern parrots. Or your local pet shop if they have a good selection.

Do you have any other pets that may be a concern, cats or dogs etc? As you will need a way to keep them separate. Likewise if you have other birds that will be allowed around the aviary you would be best to double mesh it to stop any toes etc being bitten.

Have you thought about bed time for the birds, will you be able to section them off so they can sleep undisturbed? Mine used to get very grumpy when he wanted to go to bed and I dared be awake!

Also tv noise, budgies can be quite noisy and they do like to compete so just be mindful you may not be able to hear the tv perfectly :)

Scuz

Registered
Hello all,

sorry for hijacking this topic but I have also intentions of building an indoor aviary for two lovebirds.

I'm planning locating it in the corner of a closed balcony (I live in a flat).

From what I read above there is no need to get wood treated for the weather since it will go inside. Should I worry about sunligth exposure damaging the wood?

I'm leaning towards stainless mesh, despite being expensive what is the suitable mesh size for a small bird. I have no pets roaming around the house exception made for a ramirezi fish that won't be a bother for the birds. =)

Best regards,

José Figueira

I reckon someone like Rosemead to build a custom one, (not as expensive as you'd think), or I think there are indoor aviaries on eg.. Scarletts for budgies. Depends what you're planning on spending I guess, but if you tot up the cost of whatever wood, mesh, fixings etc... you would need, it may not be much more for a pre-made one. Sorry not much help on what you actually asked though! :biggrin:

Scuz

Registered
I reckon someone like Rosemead to build a custom one, (not as expensive as you'd think), or I think there are indoor aviaries on eg.. Scarletts for budgies. Depends what you're planning on spending I guess, but if you tot up the cost of whatever wood, mesh, fixings etc... you would need, it may not be much more for a pre-made one. Sorry not much help on what you actually asked though! :biggrin:
I'll have a look at the prices and evaluate.
Do they send them to other countries? I'm from Portugal.
Thanks for the tip.

Scuz, sunlight exposure will not damage wood in an indoor aviary
Thank you.

CaptainHowdy

If you make the frame out of wood be aware the birds will chew it. Your better off getting a solid metal one. Just make sure you double mesh it and have the outer layer of 1/4 by 1/4 inch mesh to stop predators getting the birds through the bars.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
You could have a chat with Antonio he lives in Greece see if he knows of any aviary makers not sure where he got the aviary from he has for his Grey's and if the place does any other sizes. Probably work out cheaper than getting a shipment from UK.
@erithacus @Scuz

Scuz

Registered
If you make the frame out of wood be aware the birds will chew it. Your better off getting a solid metal one. Just make sure you double mesh it and have the outer layer of 1/4 by 1/4 inch mesh to stop predators getting the birds through the bars.
Mine don't hava tendency to chew wood, they prefer softer toys however they are hardwire to chew, it will happen. My concern is that a metal structure aviary would be have a hot surfaces being not safe for the birds to be in. The apartment is face east/west and I will have sun exposure all morning. I will be installing some blinds. In summer temperature can easily go up to 30ºC.

You could have a chat with Antonio he lives in Greece see if he knows of any aviary makers not sure where he got the aviary from he has for his Grey's and if the place does any other sizes. Probably work out cheaper than getting a shipment from UK.
@erithacus @Scuz
I'll wait for a reply. Thank you.

CaptainHowdy

Mine don't hava tendency to chew wood, they prefer softer toys however they are hardwire to chew, it will happen. My concern is that a metal structure aviary would be have a hot surfaces being not safe for the birds to be in. The apartment is face east/west and I will have sun exposure all morning. I will be installing some blinds. In summer temperature can easily go up to 30ºC.

I'll wait for a reply. Thank you.
When you say it's in an enclosed balcony, would there be any access for outside animals to get to them? I know in some places they are built so you can open it out to the elements during the day but fully enclose it at night?

Scuz

Registered
When you say it's in an enclosed balcony, would there be any access for outside animals to get to them? I know in some places they are built so you can open it out to the elements during the day but fully enclose it at night?
The flat is on the 5th floor and that particular balcony will be facing a pedestrian only area with some trees and vegetation. So far I've seen small birds roaming around and resting on windows or in the top of the buildings. Saw blackbirds and sparrows.
I have sliding windows and can open it partially and close it at anytime. The idea would be have it open to give my birds some sunligth and close it at night. You can check the attached photo how it looks like. My balcony is wider, roughly 1,80m.
enclosed balcony.jpg

Hello, a few years ago I got this aviary from Vidaxl.gr but I extended it removing all of its left side and constructed a private room in which I also attached a nest...I’m not sure but I remember they import their products from Italy, at least back then

Thank you for the input. I found the aviary on the website but it is too big for my needs. I'll keep looking around on the website, they have plenty of things birds housing related. =)

KenC

Registered
I know I'm late jumping in here, but I've just joined the Club and have an interest in aviary building as I may be doing it myself in a few months.

This is the plan I probably will follow:

Plans here

The article mentions Home Depot as a source for the screen doors and I don't know what might be similar in Portugal, but HD is a big box home improvement store here in the US.

Top Bottom