Indian ringneck parrot

Fallaize01

Registered
Hi I've recently took over caring for my nans indian ringneck and he's quite old and aggressive he's been caged for alot of years and I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to let him out i can actually open the cage door now and he will take food from me but that's about as much progress I've got with him so far I've had him for about 4 months now just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction many thanks

dianaT

Staff member
:welcome: I daresay with a lot of time and patience he will get used to you and enjoy coming out. I expect many of our members will be along to advise.
Can we have a photo of the parrot and his name :thumbsup:

Michael Reynolds

Hello and welcome, the indian ringneck is my favorite species, when you say he is quite old have you an idea how long your nan had him? I hope your Nan is ok she will most likely miss him as company, what is his name? ringnecks need there exercise so he dose need to fly around but do not try to feed him while he is out yet let him learn that he has to go in his cage for his food, you must allow him time to go back in never chase him or frighten him, none of mine have cages now and they are free to Rome my home. thank you for taking him on and I will try to guide you in getting the best from your bird.

Fallaize01

Registered
Hello and welcome, the indian ringneck is my favorite species, when you say he is quite old have you an idea how long your nan had him? I hope your Nan is ok she will most likely miss him as company, what is his name? ringnecks need there exercise so he dose need to fly around but do not try to feed him while he is out yet let him learn that he has to go in his cage for his food, you must allow him time to go back in never chase him or frighten him, none of mine have cages now and they are free to Rome my home. thank you for taking him on and I will try to guide you in getting the best from your bird.

Fallaize01

Registered
His name is lucy funny enough my nan didn't realise he was a boy she actually thought it was a girl so I've had to keep with the name lol but I believe he is around 19 years old he's been caged for a long time I've took him on and kept him within the family as my nan has health problems so this is all abit new to me and I would love to be able to handle him one day so just needing some help and advice would be appreciated

Michael Reynolds

if you open the door and just ignore him will Lucy come out? do not worry about the name, I hade my favorite bird a ringneck called Beryl, he never complained about his name to me, I think he was proud of it.

Fallaize01

Registered
I've never tried ive just recently been sitting at the cage door with it open and he comes down and takes food from my hand sometimes he can be aggressive but most of the time he will let me do that but I've never tried actually just leaving the door open I was just a bit concerned about how to get him back in???

dianaT

Staff member
You may like to make him a stand so he has somewhere to fly to, there's a photo of the one I made somewhere on here. I used apple or hazel wood, or you can use willow. Scrub well first and fix together in a bucket fill will clean sand, and dangle toys etc off the branches, you can make a table top one or floor standing.

Fallaize01

Registered
Also I'm unsure weather to cover Lucy at night or not she was in the past but when I go to put the cover over the cage she seems to go for me or the cover and I'm wondering weather she's trying to tell me she don't like it maybe 🤔???!!!

Michael Reynolds

I am not one to cover my birds cages and if I fill the need to I always keep one side open so the bird can see what is going on. ringnecks normally sleep well during the night they do not have panic attacks for no reason,

Fallaize01

Registered
OK I'm gonna try and let him out for the first time today wish me luck 🤞🏼 also what sort of food do you feed yours guys??? I've been feeding him the bird food stuff you genuinely get from the pet shop and occasional fruit and veg also what would you class as a treat???

dianaT

Staff member
I haven't any IRNs only Moustached Parakeets and they love unsalted cashew nuts and sometime a piece of walnut. Pet shop bird food often contains lots of the black sunflowers seeds which if not careful birds eat too much of they are not good for them, neither is Monkey Nuts. All my flock have parrot Tidymix (as well as the MPs I have Senegals and a Blue Front Amazon).
I am sure those with IRNs will let you know what they feed theirs on. All my lot have dishes of fruit & veg every day, they don't eat it all each have their preferences. Corn on the Cob is a good favourite.

Fallaize01

Registered
Thanks for the advice on the sunflower seeds I won't be giving him them anymore then.... I do occasionally give him some cereal like crunchy nut cornflakes as a treat would you that's OK???

Top Bottom