1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im Going Of To College Soon And Im Worried About My Birds.

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Robert Wiczynski, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Robert Wiczynski

Robert Wiczynski Registered

I was planning on going to a college in about 2-3 years and im scared for my IRN because i had him since he was small and he is very attached to me and no one else, he is also in my room. He does have a budgie that he is friends with but they dont always get along.
    Im scared that when i come back my IRN wont like me anymore or that he will start to pluck.
    What should i do!?

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Is there someone else at home who will care for him, if so now is the time for them to get used to each other, and hopefully settle.

3. Robert Wiczynski

Yes there is my brother, dad and mom. They can take care of him but he is very scared of them for some reason.

4. dianaT

Well they do choose their human. Maybe start getting them involved just slowly, but only one person for the time being.

Lisa7284 and Roz like this.
  5. Robert Wiczynski

Im afraid that our relationship would be harmed because of my prolonged time away

6. dianaT

Not necessarily, they usually remember their favourite person. Lets see what Roz thinks @Roz and anyone else.

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

As Di said it would be good to slowly get the other members of your family involved. Is anyone willing to work with him? ie. have the patience to pair themselves with good things and good experiences with him? That person could slowly work up into giving him treats or anything else he finds reinforcing. Socialization is good for any parrot and would certainly help him feel more secure when you are gone. As for your relationship, you would probably have to gently work at it each time you come back on holiday. It might become easier after a few return visits so that he realises you are coming back.

plumsmum likes this.
  8. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Just for a change of perspective - is it absolutely necessary for you to leave home in order to attend college? It's something that people in the UK (and certain other countries, such as the USA) pretty much take for granted, as the notion that you ought to leave home to be educated has become a sort of cultural norm which is seldom questioned - but in many other countries, such as here in Brazil, most people prefer to stay at home if at all possible. It's actually quite uncommon here for people here to leave home to attend university, unless either they live in a rural area or small town where no suitable higher education facilities are available locally, or they have wealthy parents who are prepared to pay to send them to a more "prestigious" establishment elsewhere (and even in the latter case, taking an option which leaves them closer to home and family often takes precedence).

I don't know where you are or your personal circumstances, of course, but I will still take the liberty of suggesting that staying at home for college, if that is possible for you, is something you might want to seriously consider for a number of reasons, in addition to your concerns about your birdie. In particular, your living costs, and hence eventual student debts, are likely to be much lower, and you will also probably end up living in much more comfortable and cleaner accomodation, be better fed, etc. The main benefit of going away to university these days appears to be that students who do so can better access the hedonistic student "party" lifestyle - but this is actually something which most students find increasingly difficult to sustain these days due to rising costs and falling incomes, and it may not be what you really want to do in any case.

9. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I would not panic as I am sure that each time you return home you will still have a great friend you may lose a little trust at first but within a week you will be forgiven

10. Lisa7284

Lisa7284 Regular Member

I had the same problem when I was heading off to uni- Alfie hated everyone but me so this was the main reason I decided to stay home with him. Please don't think I am telling you to do this. Going off to college/ uni can be a wonderful experience (for me, the guilt of leaving Alfie swayed my decision).

If you have people at home willing to help you that is wonderful. Please don't leave it to the last minute to help him transition his affection onto someone else. I think you might just have to accept that your relationship may change whilst you are at college and you will have to rebuild it when you return. But I don't think he will forget you :) Sometimes it can feel special when they choose you and only you but trust me, if you can get your bird to bond with someone who will be around when you have gone that is the most selfless thing you can do. You will then be able to go off to college and enjoy the experience without the guilt that your feathered friend is back home lonely and missing you.

11. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

When you say you are going away to college do you mean your also leaving home to rent a place?
    If you have to go away to college as above can you not look for somewhere to rent where your birdie is allowed to come too?