1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Back After A While Out!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by karendean46, Oct 27, 2018.

1. karendean46

karendean46 Regular Member

Hi all. Haven't been on line for a while, many reasons which include wife's health (she has Lupus), my lack of time due to work and my loss of a phone!!!
    Anyways I'm back. My wife has 2 greys. I have a decorps cockatoo and a Electus male. Also in cage upstairs a cockatail a conure and a Diddy budgie. They were brought up together and guess who is in charge??? Miss budgie of course. Got her of a lady who couldn't re home due to unable to fly. Beautiful birds. X[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

2. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Some lovely birds you have there! I particularly like the Eclectus, he's a real beauty. We've been considering a male eclectus as one possibility if we get a larger bird soon, though it seems that they may be extra work to care for. I'm not sure how suitable they are as family pets either!

Is the bossy budgie a female, by any chance? What species is the conure?

3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi
    Sorry your wife has been so poorly hopefully things are getting better
    Quite a flock you have going on over there gets addictive this parrot keeping

4. karendean46

Yes budgie is a girl. Conure is a green cheeked conure.
    The Electus is just beautiful. Got him from Maidstone Bird show a couple of months ago. Was originally tame but had been kept in an aviary for 6 months. He was really scared at the start but with a few weeks patience he now loves being with me. Not a talker but doesn't matter to me, although when I am not around he does show his displeasure by screaming, although again calming down. Thankfully as wife was getting a bit fed up!!!

Ararajuba likes this.
  5. karendean46

Electus I have found are very much a 1 person bird. Henry, my boy in pic was so scared when we got him, first few days in cage he was screaming with fright. We moved him/his cage so next to my girl cockatoo and seems to have quietened both the Electus and snowy the cockatoo who we have had for about 5 years.
    Our budgie is such a character. When we open cage in morning the con yer, cocktail and teeny the budgie all fly off, until teeny realises she can't fly!! [​IMG]

Ararajuba likes this.
  6. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

It looks like this little lady might have French moult. Has she been tested to rule out polyoma, pbfd and psittacosis? By blood sample not faecal or swob?

Ararajuba and TomsMum like this.
  7. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Dean and Karen good to hear from you :wave:

8. karendean46

Thanks for the info re teeny our budgie. Going to avian vet next week.

dianaT and CaptainHowdy like this.
  9. marley

marley Regular Member

PLEASE PLEASE get that budgie tested properly (twice with gap) for PBFD and in the mean time keep it well away from the other birds, preferably a different house.

PBFD is highly contagious and can be devastating to larger parrots and of all species cockatoos, greys and eclectus are most prone, it is fatal to large parrots over time

10. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hi @karendean46 Sorry I had a few technical problems when you posted and was unable to reply. Have you had any results back regarding your budgie. well you know your Eccie was the best bird at the show and was very friendly to me. look forwards to seeing you again

11. Zooamazons

Zooamazons Regular Member

Welcome back.

12. karendean46

That Electus beautiful bird mate. After a few weeks steps up/kisses and makes a gentle rrr noise when he is on me. Only slight issue is when I'm not around has a bit of a hissy screaming fit at times!!! OMG he can be loud!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

dianaT likes this.
  13. marley

marley Regular Member

Did you get the budgie tested?

14. Michael Reynolds

@karendean46 How is the budgie? there is another Parrot show at Lockmedow on the 9th December

15. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Until that budgie is tested and comes back as negative Michael I would think it very unwise they attend any shows nor visit with people who have birdies either.
    What if the little one is positive for PBFD then they could carry it on their cloths to the show and everybody's birdies would be at risk
    http://www.avianbiotech.com/abi/Diseases/PBFD.htm

16. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Welcome back Karen and Dean! :wave: Hope the budgie is ok.

17. karendean46

Blooming up at 3.45 today for work!!! Motorway closed m20 so allowance of extra 25 mins but a bit pointless as not 1 car or lorry on motorway all the way from Ashford to Maidstone!!!

My budgie after a few weeks looking after [​IMG][​IMG]

dianaT likes this.
  18. Michael Reynolds

Such a great improvement in so shorter time, Knowing now where your little one came from and the security she has did put my mind at ease. this young lady needed to be parted from the others and I am so pleased that you had taken her on. I Hope to see you soon but I am still annoyed you got what I thought was the best bird at the show at such a brilliant price. love you all.

karendean46 likes this.
  19. marley

marley Regular Member

Did you get it tested for PBFD?

CaptainHowdy likes this.