Ideal temperature.

Lauraj

Good morning all.

I am currently working and the cold weather has got me thinking about the boys!
I have a large through sitting room where the boys cages are, Alfie's cage is in a space next to the door and Bo is opposite side of the room facing the door.
I have a radiator in the hallway next to the living room door and use the draft blockers at the front door, i always keep the kitchen door closed. I also have two large radiators either side of the living room.

My question is the ideal heat for my birds, i keep the heating on 19/20 degrees throughout the day and during the night i shut the curtains and the door which keeps the heat in when i knock the central heating down a little bit! Is this ideal for the birds?

I cannot feel any kind of draft when i am sat in the chair in the middle of the cages, also neither bird has ever shown signs of coldness. I also leave the living room door open throughout the day because when the door is shut both birds associate this with sleep time! Just this cold weather got me thinking how the boys are! Neither of them have their cages covered because they have a freak out but both cages are against a wall. Alfie's cage is against two walls so he has two exposed sides, Alfie has a snuggle hut which he doesn't use and I've yet to find one big enough for Bo!

I was informed by a pet store that an ideal temp for birds is 26 degrees but this seems high considering?

Thank you all!

plumsmum

I do not heat during the night hun but they are all well covered be it in their cage or night cage. I usually judge it if I am cold during the day then some heat is needed. We do get some sun when it comes out on the back of the house and this makes a big difference. Avoid drafts.

You could try covering partially at first, and then lower it down over the front slowly a bit at a time. I did all my birds when they first came, that is just how it is here. It looks like they like it tbh. They all have some sheeting as the first layer as this is not so bad re fibres if it gets chewed. Then it is a combo of old but clean curtains or fleece blankets. My conure is so much better being covered, both going to bed and being quiet in the morning especially in the summer when he'd like to tell us he's awake at 4.30am. :)

There have been problems associated with birds chewing snuggle huts and ingesting fibres FYI.

Lauraj

Thank you for your reply! I feel like i have far too many questions haha.

Yeah we get some heat when the sun comes round which is nice! We typically keep the heating on before bed and then turn it down when the door is closed in the birds room. It's nice and warm when we get up in a morning and both boys feet are usually nice and warm (told that's a way to tell if the bird is cold?)

I will give it another go covering their cages, we have blinds then very thick blackout curtains so until they are open both birds sleep because they think it's dark :lol:
First time I tried to partially cover Bo he panicked and fell to the bottom of his cage which put me off until his feathers grow back and he is able to fly.

Thank you for the reply though! It's a good idea to judge on my warmth :)

plumsmum

I have tended to notice that they are nice and toasty in their covered cages, they like us give off heat and the covers keep some of it in. You could just leave the covers on the top of the cage draped to acquaint them, they are not bogey men! I am just off to put the heating back on today LOL :)

RoyJess

My question is the ideal heat for my birds, i keep the heating on 19/20 degrees throughout the day and during the night i shut the curtains and the door which keeps the heat in when i knock the central heating down a little bit! Is this ideal for the birds?
This is the usual temperature of our house and we have a total of 13 birds. If you kept birds in an outside aviary (with a nesting/roosting box house) the birds will acclimatise to the lower temperatures during the winter months providing they have been put out before the autumn/winter sets in

Top Bottom