1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Rescued A Deaf Dog

Discussion in 'A Place To Discuss And Show Off All Other Pets' started by Jessy S., Mar 3, 2018.

1. Jessy S.

Jessy S. Registered

Hi, I am new to this club and live in PA. I definitely am a equal animal lover. I rescued a young dog from an animal shelter I was volunteering at. Does anyone have deaf dogs? I would love to hear how other people train and communicate with their dog. I also am thinking of starting my own rescue if anyone out there can let me know what I'm getting into I would love to hear from you to. Never a dull moment with all my animals and the ones my kids bring home, but I love every minute of it.

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Training any deaf animal is down to expression and hand signals. Gaining there attention can be hard a friend of mine has a lazar light that he shines just in front of his deaf Labrador to call it back when he starts to go too far.

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Jessy and :welcome: to the forum...we’re based in the U.K. but have members right across the globe. do you have any parrots?

4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: from me and my flock

5. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
    You need to learn hand signal commands and then teach them to your dog. Also teach them to anybody else who is going to be involved with the dogs care etc. Used to do a lot of hand signal commands years ago when working dogs in the field (field trials) You need to check out this site https://deafdogsrock.com/beginning-sign-training