I first posted 6 months ago I am getting my birdy tomorrow

Dorbren

Registered
I bit the bullet and wanted a Macaw then all kinds of birds and then fell in love with a 2 year old Umbrella Cockatoo he arrives tomorrow from what I have seen he is quite chilled but no doubt I am in for a rough time but we are isolating as a family and thought now is a good time when we are all at home to get a much longed for bird ... are you all going to tell me I am mad for going for an umbrella cockatoo? And a 2 year old one?

Yes fairly mad, but giving a home to a bird that’s 2 is a good thing to do as there are loads of older birds needing homes. I’m not sure what age the umbrellas go all hormonal but I think it’s around two so it could be a rough ride for a bit

I have been told he is a perfect gent however if he was all that he would be being rehomed and I think the well behaved was the reasoning behind the price but I am going to give him a good go .. any advice from anyone as I am going to expect the worst of a screaming behavioural chewer then maybe it will be a pleasant surprise lol

Ahh now that would be sensible only met him once and Corona means I had to make a decision so coming to me tomorrow so he could have been on his best behaviour so to be honest this was not the wisest way to go about getting him. However on the plus side I am Working from home actually everyone here is at home so it’s probably the best opportunity and the worst approach

Have you met the bird in person a few times? How are you getting the bird to you?
I foresee me needing a lot of advice as I know I am going to have to stick with him and put the effort in ... I am hoping if I expect the worst then it can’t be that bad

Hi its good to see your update. are you MAD that's simple to answer, its ok though all us parrot keepers are MAD. Having a too can be a challenge but Also very rewarding, they are true trouble but also can be so loving.

Hi its good to see your update. are you MAD that's simple to answer, its ok though all us parrot keepers are MAD. Having a too can be a challenge but Also very rewarding, they are true trouble but also can be so loving.
Ha ha I feel anxious and excited at the same time ... my main concern is how to settle him when he arrives are there any dos and don’ts as he will arrive at the door and bless him no handover due to covid so he will be in my house ... anything I can do to make it easier on him ?

First impressions count, offer him some nice fruit apple and grapes go down well, do not crowd him but still give him some extra attention

I have ordered a Floor standing java tree as well as a large cage with a perch on top ... do I leave him on the perch and the cage open and let him get used to that space before moving him between rooms ? This is probably simple for you all but I want to make sure I don’t make him anxious

I can only have my Buster out with supervision are he will destroy my place in seconds. every Too is different when I had an umbrella living with me she was far from destructive and loved the java tree but still prefers being on me.

Do I handle him lots... or give him a few rubs and keep my distance or just wait and see what he initiates ... I don’t want to get the parrot body talk wrong lol lol novice person here remember and was used to budgies lol

How will I know if he hates me lmao tolerating me and being nice where he was living and him suddenly being with me might be a shock ha ha so clicking ... are their any rules about noise or over stimulating them etc basically what are the BIG NO NOs for tomorrow ? All help is really appreciated as my knowledge is basic reading books only

on this side you will have to play things as they come, You do not want a bite from a too but he may want to be close and good, the most important thing is you having the confidence to try and do not blame him if you have judged him wrong

The biggest No No is being frightened, the next biggest No No is pushing him to do something before he is ready. ,Its not much of a helpful answer as no one will know how he will be with you or in his new home, so much will depend on first impressions and how attached he was to his old owner.

He has spent three weeks in between houses which is why I wanted him across rather than wait until this was over and go to him again as by then he would be even more settled he has been a very good boy where he has been and happy for rubs and snuggles so it’s not as if he is moving from a long term home but again I don’t know if this is good or bad as he might not trust this that move is his forever move and might act out a bit or so I am thinking

Back
Top Bottom